Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Climate Control drains battery

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Greet'ns

Anyone know why my climate control in VR Statesman is draining my battery? It's ok when Climate Control not being used, but when I switch it on it sucks the life out of the batt. I'm thinking a short somewhere.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The climate control will drain in excess of 20 amps when operating - thats needed to energise the magnetic clutch on the compressor and run the fan inside the car etc ...this shouldn't drain the battery when the engine is running. If you had a short then a fuse will blow. If your battery is older than 2 years then its probably on its way out.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
^^^^^ Exactly what hako said. Replace the battery if it is over 2 years old and check the terminals very closely.

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Both battery and alternator have been replaced within the past 2 years (can't remember exactly when)

I checked my voltage rate tonight - at idle with headlights on I'm getting approx 11.9-12.4V charge, which is obviously not enough....

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
statey1975 said:
Both battery and alternator have been replaced within the past 2 years (can't remember exactly when)

I checked my voltage rate tonight - at idle with headlights on I'm getting approx 11.9-12.4V charge, which is obviously not enough....

That votage may well be normal at idle as the alternator output is dependent upon engine speed so the higher the revs the higher the voltage (and output).
Try it again with headlights on but at about 3000rpm - should be around 13 to 13.5V.

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
hako said:
That votage may well be normal at idle as the alternator output is dependent upon engine speed so the higher the revs the higher the voltage (and output).
Try it again with headlights on but at about 3000rpm - should be around 13 to 13.5V.

Yeh it's good at higher revs - cruising at 60km's it sits around 14.1

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
That's excellent - how does it read at 60km's with headlights AND aircon on (compressor on)? - if still above 13 to 13.5V your electrics are healthy. At idle with that load your alt would be flat out keeping the battery at 11v so the less time at idle the better.

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
hako said:
That's excellent - how does it read at 60km's with headlights AND aircon on (compressor on)? - if still above 13 to 13.5V your electrics are healthy. At idle with that load your alt would be flat out keeping the battery at 11v so the less time at idle the better.
Will test it on way home from work & post in the morning....