Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Clunk, Help!!

raised_fist

94 VR BT1
Reaction score
i've got a front end clunk in my 94 VR bt1
(sounds like the front end), but the prob sounds diff to every other post on here about front end clunks
just say when u take a left turn, it sounds like somethings clunking to the right, but if u take another left, it won't happen, until you turn right, then it'll clunk to the left, like something is rolling from side to side underneath the car
driving me nuts for a while now

mechanics can't find it, so it's DIY time as usual, i've replaced/pulled apart most things on my car, so i've got a decent mechanical knowledge

i've checked underneath for the sway bar and link pin bushes, etc... none of them seem to be loose or broken, the rubbers are kinda squashed though
i haven't heard of this exact symptom happening to another commodore, so anyone who's had this prob b4 i would appreciate any thoughts on the subject

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
tie rod ends and probably link pin bushes...

And this is posted in the wrong section dude... mod/admin wanna move it for us? lol

raised_fist

94 VR BT1
Reaction score
update

well i replaced the front sway bar link pins, well good news is the tiny front noise is gone, but the loud noise at the BACK (well i thought it was kinda middleish) is still there, so problem isn't fixed

could it be the tailshaft, or the link pins at the back (if there are any)?

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
My mates VR has the exact same problem, but none of the mechanics can find it either. Its left us stumped!

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
check the swaybar washers - if you have the old style with the centreing ring, the ring can bend/crack and hold the bush in a funny way.\
another thing to check is cracked support bearings. mine clunked badly and it frustrated me so badly I just ripped my struts apart and found both bearings had exploded - note - when replacing strut support bearings, replace the bearing supports at same time, and don't drop bearings, they break with NO effort

raised_fist

94 VR BT1
Reaction score
will have a look tomorrow
are the sway bar washers u are talking about in the back??

and wherebouts are the support bearings?, will def check it out

hey darkrampage, if i do end up fixing it, i'll let u know exactly what it was

Soybean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 5-speed
my vr had same problem but it only went clunk when i went over a bump,had to replace a rubber saddle or somethin in the top of the front right strut.
good luck.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
raised_fist said:
will have a look tomorrow
are the sway bar washers u are talking about in the back??

and wherebouts are the support bearings?, will def check it out

hey darkrampage, if i do end up fixing it, i'll let u know exactly what it was
washers should be in the back too, but I was referring to the fronts. check them both.

support bearings are in the strut. remove the upper bearing plate, and there'll be a foam like "cap" (bearing support) that has the bearing under it.
When you're messing with struts, use spring compressors. they're only $20 from ricerbarn

raised_fist

94 VR BT1
Reaction score
just had a look underneath the car

back sway bar is fine, and link pin bushes are a bit squashed, but don't move too much to create a noise

don't wanna go messing with the struts just yet, but would it explain why the clunk or knock seems to be rolling left and right??

driving me absolutely nuts
i'm fairly sure the it clunks when i go over bumps and brake suddenly on rough roads, but not as noticable

raised_fist

94 VR BT1
Reaction score
well just took the car down to pedders for the 28 point check

had 2 blokes lookin at it, they both drove it with me in it, one said the clunk was coming from the middle underneath somewhere, the other said it was coming from the front, but high up somewhere, but neither could find it

they listed a few probs, but none of them were causing the clunk :ranting: left em both baffled, one of the guys suggested pulling the whole right strut out and checking it over

my guess is, that there's a midget hiding in the @#%^! fuel tank with a rubber mallet, or it's a laundry list of probs all causing it

anyone with similar problems who've had them fixed, pls pls let me know