Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr commode stuck in first gear

Sandink

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Vr commodore
First post on here but not first visit,
Got a 1993 vr commodore it all started when I changed the rad, thermostat and heater tap! First the lower rad hose blew then the bypass hose went replaced both of those, in the midst of changing them I beleive I damaged the lower trans line going into the rad as it also got a leak so replaced that filled her back up with trans fluid and now it won't come out of first gear... Disconnected the battery to make sure it wasn't in limp mode (no engine light came on before I tried this though but thought I'd try it anyway) the car was left over night before I replaced the hose for the transmission and I think it may have been driven with very little trans fluid in it to get it home ... Any one know what it is and if it's worth fixing? Or will cost of fix be more than the cars worth?

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
When you changed the trans fuild did you by any chance try go through all the gears as you where adding oil to make sure the box had oil in the necessary places and added more if need to be once up to temp??

If the gearbox is screwed, it will cost an arm and a leg to get fixed if you can't do the work yourself.

Sandink

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Vr commodore
Yea changed gears ran it for about five minutes changed through reverse, drive and park changed through them fine checked levels again and levels are in the right place even had Raa come out to see if there was anything they could do only thing they said was about a solenoid. Was running fine before the bypass hose blew (sort of started leaking at the same time) then was left over night as all the auto part stores where closed came back in the morning replaced the hoses filled with trans fluid checked levels then wouldn't change from first gear

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You say "replaced the hoses filled with trans fluid checked levels then wouldn't change from first gear" - from that I read that trans fluid mixed with the coolant in the hoses....if correct then there is every reason to believe that coolant also went into the trans fluid and back to the transmission where it emulsifies and glugs up the solenoids and filter screen plus if the trans oil reaches 100C the water boils off usually blowing the dipstick off and oil everywhere.
A stuck solenoid should leave a fault code which takes 2 minutes to do with a paperclip. Throttle position sensor may have got damaged and if indicating still on idle then the gearbox will not change gear.
Read the codes!!

Sandink

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Vr commodore
I need to buy something special to read the codes don't I? If it is the solenoid that's stuck how do I fix with a paper clip and will it cause damage if I try it and the solenoid isn't stuck?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I need to buy something special to read the codes don't I? If it is the solenoid that's stuck how do I fix with a paper clip and will it cause damage if I try it and the solenoid isn't stuck?

There is a thread here somewhere about reading the codes. You use the paper clip to bridge 2 pins in the obd connector under the steering wheel. The engine light then flashes the fault codes.

Sandink

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Vr commodore
Alright I'll have a look for that thread thanks anyway man

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Sandink

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Vr commodore
Checked the error codes got 12 ... 100% sure everything is not ok though ... Does this mean stuffed trans/ gearbox?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Checked the error codes got 12 ... 100% sure everything is not ok though ... Does this mean stuffed trans/ gearbox?

You must wait till you get 3 lots of 12 before any fault codes are displayed!......so you will get 12.....12.....12 then any fault codes which probably will indicate one or more solenoids stuck.