Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Commodore 93 turning off while driving.

adamrose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Hi People, As above I am having a problem with my VR while driving,The motor just shuts off and I have been reading a few threads and I see that it could be a few things and if I went by these threads I would be spending way above my budget.

Story and Symptoms ~ My Beast has been running a little rough of late and was going around a roundabout the other day and I lost a bolt on the Rod&Swaybar and it popped and I did not even realise but after a few days I have started having engine problems "shutting off while driving" again because a year or 2 ago I changed the coil plate for a similar problem, and it was fine since.
If I sat here trying to work it out I would get nothing done so yer just wondering how much it would cost to get somebody to come out and determine the problem normally! I can change the sway bar and that but troubleshooting car problems it not my thing :(

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I had a VP which used to shut down sometimes.
Changed the CAS for a second hand one from the wreckers and never had the problem again.
Or maybe the old problem you had has started again.

adamrose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
I replaced my spark plugs and leads not long ago and was just thinking could a bad spark plug shut the engine down while driving or cause a bad reading.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had shot plugs and it still run ok. My guess is fuel pump, CAS or DFI.

adamrose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
A friend said to me awhile ago that my coils could probably do with a change so yer I might start there since I have already done the plate.
See how it goes and if I pump the pedal while trying to start it it will eventually start but sound and run like absolute ****.

Thanks for your help dudes I really appreciate it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
See how it goes and if I pump the pedal while trying to start it it will eventually start but sound and run like absolute ****.

It will miss like a bastard under load but probably not die, even if a coil was completely shot. Given this new info it probably has to do with some sort of sensor on the TB, a broken vac line or maybe a pump, filter or reg issue. Start by looking at broken vac lines as that sounds the most likely culprit, right now.

adamrose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
hey me again quick update, I got a friend over and we took the plugs out and leads out and cleaned them up with a wire brush and WD40 and put them back in 1 lead was stuck and broke when getting off so I had a spare put it all back on and bam the car was running like butter again :) gave it a bit of a rev to clean it up a bit and it seems great thanks for help close thread. The simple things are sometimes the answer.