Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Commodore cutting out whilst driving.

74Torana69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore LH Torana VR Commodore
Hi all, chasing a very intermittent problem in a VR commodore. Which basically the car is cutting out whilst driving. It starts straight away, not running rough or missing, just cuts out. I’ve read all the previous posts similar to this. Any help would be appreciated.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
How intermittent?
Are there any patterns to the cutting out? Eg always when cold, at idle, when selecting drive etc.
What have you tested so far? What are your results?
Regular servicing?

74Torana69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore LH Torana VR Commodore
How intermittent?
Are there any patterns to the cutting out? Eg always when cold, at idle, when selecting drive etc.
What have you tested so far? What are your results?
Regular servicing?
It is very intermittent. However yesterday it did it 6 times within 2klms. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern at all. Mostly when warm eg been driving for 5-10mins. However it has done it after travelling 70ks at once. You are literally driving along and in drive, when it just stops. Once it comes to a stop place it in park and starts straight away. No issues and not missing or running rough. It doesn’t get hot.
The only thing I will query with it it does seem to be when it has a 1/4-1/3 tank. My Partner filled it this morning and have had no issues today with it.
It is regularly serviced and had a new fuel filter fitted in January. Leads and plugs are not that old either. My partner always runs 95 in it.
Is it possible it’s loosing fuel pressure with a near empty tank? But I’m saying that it doesn’t sound like it’s running out of fuel, it literally just dies. Or a DPI issue.?? Or am I totally wrong in my thinking? So frustrating!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Carry a milk bottle of cold water and pour some over the crank sensor on the passenger side of the crank pulley. If that gets you going it's probably the CAS.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
The only thing I will query with it it does seem to be when it has a 1/4-1/3 tank. My Partner filled it this morning and have had no issues today with it.
Broken fuel return line to swirl pot inside the tank.
Try and keep it above half a tank or the fuel pump may fail soon.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
V6 or V8? I had the same issue in my VS V8 caprice, and ended up being the distributor. Used to just cut out doing 80km/h. Come to a stop, wouldn’t start straight away, but after 5 minutes, would start and then drive like normal for a while until it did it again. I went through many sensors etc before it was discovered to be the dizzy. It did used to sometimes just drop into limp mode at random as well. I sold it to @Jecs many years ago, and I’m pretty sure after changing out the dizzy, she was good as new? He might be able to confirm.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
V6 or V8? I had the same issue in my VS V8 caprice, and ended up being the distributor. Used to just cut out doing 80km/h. Come to a stop, wouldn’t start straight away, but after 5 minutes, would start and then drive like normal for a while until it did it again. I went through many sensors etc before it was discovered to be the dizzy. It did used to sometimes just drop into limp mode at random as well. I sold it to @Jecs many years ago, and I’m pretty sure after changing out the dizzy, she was good as new? He might be able to confirm.

Yep the worst part, it wouldn't start again. got stuck at a car park for awhile one day.

Was the sensor in the dizzy itself.

Attachments

• IMG_15521.jpg
    IMG_15521.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 61

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
OP mentioned DPI, I think he meant DFI? Unless he is mistaken, and thinks V8 has a DPI/DFI I think he has a V6.