Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr commodore harmonic balancer removal

Dj1crook

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Commodore/Lexcen, 1992 Holden Nova Hatch
g'day trying to remove the harmonic balancer on my vr as it let go (looks to be the original one as it only has three slots in the front) having trouble removing it. does anyone have any tips on removing them?

Attachments

• 74344995_1546605725489954_726667659998920704_n.jpg
    74344995_1546605725489954_726667659998920704_n.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 336

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
You will need a 3 prong commodore harmonic puller something like this
s-l225.jpg

Sometimes the bolts are very tight to get off. What i do (which some won't agree with) is use a crack bar with a socket, rest it on the passenger side rails and flick the key. Make sure it doesn't start just crank it so the motor turns over a half turn or rotates once and the bolt will be loose. Of course try by hand first, this is the last effort move for getting it off.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You will need a 3 prong commodore harmonic puller something like this
View attachment 207551
Sometimes the bolts are very tight to get off. What i do (which some won't agree with) is use a crack bar with a socket, rest it on the passenger side rails and flick the key. Make sure it doesn't start just crank it so the motor turns over a half turn or rotates once and the bolt will be loose. Of course try by hand first, this is the last effort move for getting it off.
over 200 bucks for that, just get a 3 claw puller put bolt back in but drill a centre mark so the point cant slip first, leave about 10mm loose to start with, place the 3 claws over the back then tighten to remove. Or get the one in video clip or if you have a welder and can weld make one.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
**** what an awesome video as it doesn't actually show the job been done and he doesn't even seem to remember the names of the tools he's using.

Another one of "Trevor's" humdingers !! He a real champion at screwin' everything up with his immense knowledge.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yip its a great video it shows what you need and instead of putting step 2 video on their I thought using your brain you could see he has another video, if you don't know what he is using maybe you shouldn't touch the car yourself, its a harmonic puller set hence what your removing, I did state use a 3 claw puller if you decide to read.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I removed mine with my rattle gun and then a three jaw. Probably be ok with a three jaw, since the pulley is buggard. Just leave the crank bolt in but loose and slowly wind it out as the puller loses reach. The right tool is the go but cheaper ones are close to 140 bucks. Second last time mine came off i paid the mech 50 bucks to change the seal, as he had the right tool. Few months later it came off again to replace the chain gear. The right tool is a worthwhile investment as the seals don't seem to last as long as a pulley. And at 190 bucks for a pulley you don't want to damage a working one.