Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Commodore - Motor Ticking

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
Hey all,

When starting my VR commodore V6 Auto ( Cold ) a loud ticking noise can be heard. But once the car warms up ( 10 or so minutes of driving ) it vanishes. also when i bought the car i notice the car virobrated a fair bit. im not sure if ive just got use to it or its stopped but it still worrys me.

Ive sat there at the engine bay just looking and listening... first i thought lifters, so i topped it up with oil. Not a change.. not a little bit.. ive had someone say the timing? ( it does seem to miss here n there )

once i get home and it cools down ill record the ticking noise and chuck it on youtube so you can all have a listen.

Thankyou, Todd.

Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvVJYIB1OaA

Last edited:

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Mate it's probably just old / clogged injectors. Look at getting new/reco injectors fitted or get your current ones cleaned. Better off getting new/reco ones IMO. Made a HUGE difference to my car, VS ecotec and the injectors were rooted lol. Started easier, ran better, no more flat spots, new ones barely tick at all.

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Mate it's probably just old / clogged injectors. Look at getting new/reco injectors fitted or get your current ones cleaned. Better off getting new/reco ones IMO. Made a HUGE difference to my car, VS ecotec and the injectors were rooted lol. Started easier, ran better, no more flat spots, new ones barely tick at all.

Did you see an improvement in power and/or fuel econ with new injectors?

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, 2015 Daytona 675R
exhaust leak. the stock exhaust maifolds on vrs are prone to cracking and cause ticking when gold and goes away when they heat up.

take it to an exhaust shop and get a free check over.

Paintabruh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore acclaim V6
Its probaly hole in exhaust i got my exhaust fixed and engine mounts done and doesnt vibrate one bit, most prob your engines mounts are ####ed and resting on something making your car vibrate thats my opinion considering i got it fixed 3 months ago hope helps :)

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
Thanks for the info guys. i just posted the Link to the youtube vid up in the first post.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Did you see an improvement in power and/or fuel econ with new injectors?

Yeah huge improvement. Could be exhaust manifold as mentioned but that will be a LOT louder than injectors.

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Thanks for the info guys. i just posted the Link to the youtube vid up in the first post.

Doesn't quite sound like injectors to me, sounds like a larger item, though I have no idea what. Do you know which area of the motor the noise is coming from?

I think i have noisy injectors, as my ticking is lighter and more rapid. I'll grab a vid later on so you can have a listen and compare to yours

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
Yeah ive done the oil. no diff.

I took it to a friend that knows a bit about cars and he said its lower in the motor?
and that i wouldnt be able to find out what it is unless i pull the motor apart..

so thats a last resort lol.