Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr commodore problem would love some help

luv my vr commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 vr commodore
Hey im new to this and would like some help i have a 1993 vr commodore which has a little problem every time i go around a corner fast or go side ways the car loses all power doesnt turn off just loses power all power returns when i straighten up.
Any help would be much appreciative

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
does the car have abs?
does it lose power as in you cant rev engine at all? (accel pedal does nothing?)
is there an engine light on?

luv my vr commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 vr commodore
no engine light on and yes accel pedel looses all function car doesnt stall and get all power back when i have straightened up ?

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Usually a fuel pump will cause it to stall when going around corners or a damaged fuel tank. Is it only when it's low on fuel? If it is that would be the problem, a full tank would stop this. Or maybe stop going "sideways" if your not on the track that would be a good fix too.

luv my vr commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 vr commodore
na even when i have a full tank it still cuts out as when i go around a corner fast engine cuts out but doesnt stall and i get all powwer back when i straighten up . i have no clue

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/72197-dodgy-fuel-pump.html
the v6 doesnt have abs and im assuming its not an ss...
so the above link is what youre looking for good luck

i will say though when you drop tank out replace pump sender its carrage and hoses inside tank

this is all based upon the dash lights not all losing power when fault occurs if all dash turns off its a power supply problem near the battery check and tighten all you can get too
terminals engine earths etc

unless you have BT1 police pack it may have abs

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
The V6's do have ABS. Calais was standard and Berlina was optional. Even the acclaim had the ABS option too, may have even been standard but that might be series 2. Also IRS as option and standard on these too. (calais and Acclaim standard, unless wagon and Berlina optional).

Holden VR Commodore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
fair enough
do they flash the abs light on dash when abs is active? if so good way to tell if hes just having an abs event!~
but am unsure as to which models and levels had abs on vr

took me a month to find a vt without abs!~ sounds stupid but to find a good one anyway... was worth it for the odd skids now and then

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
my old VR had ABS and an LSD never had any problems when the car kicked out with loosing power in fact once it lost traction it kept on spinning. So doubt it is to do with the abs

or as said stop sending it sideways I used to only do it on tracks

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
They have an ABS off light on the dash but I think that is the only ABS related light on there. I think you could actually turn the ABS off in the VR/VS model (If not just VR) as well.