Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR engine in VN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have another VN, requires new engine, its 1991 VN wagon, suspected bottom end damage due high revs.

Anyway I found (haven't bought it) an 175,000 kms VR engine 3.8 litre for $125, very cheap and its very clean engine well serviced, it has logs etc (Sedan has very bad rear end damage)

I was wondering what's the differences between VN Series 2 engine and VR engine.

IF I took the wire loom off from the VR engine, and fit VN Series 2 engine on the VR engine, would there be any connectors differences? or added components etc?
Just wanted to make sure I get the right engine for the VN.
Cheers & thanks
AP

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
Differences...bit better fuel economy, another 5kw.. bit higher compression.. Thats about it, not entirley sure on the mechanical differences. They fit straight in, no worries with wiring or anything. I've got a series I vr engine in my vn.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
s_pack said:
Differences...bit better fuel economy, another 5kw.. bit higher compression.. Thats about it, not entirley sure on the mechanical differences. They fit straight in, no worries with wiring or anything. I've got a series I vr engine in my vn.

Yeah there is a 0.5L difference per 100km for fuel consumption.
Power difference is 3kw, not 5. Plus an extra 2NM of torque.
Compression does change as well. VN S2 is: Compression ratio: 8.5:1
VR is: Compression ratio: 9.0:1
VR gets max torque at 3200rpm like a S1 VN, rather than 3600rpm like a Series 2.

They dont fit straight in though, theres a difference with the wiring loom. Plus if its auto you will need to fit your gearbox setup up to the VR engine, the VR's had the electronic gearbox controlled by a PCM (Powertrain Control Module).

cracker

Reaction score
neh just run vp loom on vr engine will work fine.
its harder to run vp motor in vr due to cam angle sensor but it will run fine without, using the vp computer. have fun.

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
VN - 125kW
VR - 130kW

They do fit straight in, wiring is the same.

s_pack

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY SS
Ahhhh I see, didn't see that about the series 2 donk. Forgive me, I own a series 1....or 1.5 as i call it.

Was pretty dam sure the wiring loom was the same..:unsure:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
The wiring loom is meant to be different on each model.
But from what i've read the S2 VN has the VP loom, so S1 and S2 VN's hav a slightly different loom.

So you may be right and it may work, but the looms are slightly different between VP and VR...but it may not mean it wont work.

So if you have done the conversion and the loom worked, I guess it will. I dont have personal experience with the conversion so i'll stick with what you say :thumbsup:

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
Sweeeeet!
thankyou guys, hopefully it'll be there on saturday.
I'll use VN S2 wire loom on that engine anyway as I have it on my hand anyway.
Auto transmission, will be used from that VN S2. SO no problems.

Since I have VN S2 with VR engine, should I upgrade the ECM to VP S2 or leave as it is or what??

Thanks guys.
Cheers
AP

Status
Not open for further replies.