Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Engine Rebuild

Reed93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67
So i have got a series 1 vn engine, other than the crank being 6 bolt and intake manifold being different is there any other major differences between series 1 and 2 ?
Could i just put a series 2 crank in and intake manifold ?

Anyway ill be doing a rebuild over time and using this thread to upload photos ect for anyone thats interested.
Im not loaded with cash so it wont be done in a couple of weeks or anything as machining costs a bit of coin.

Why rebuild a v6 an not just get a second hand engine ?
Well i like to give my cars a bit and also use it as a burnout car.
Its a Manual VR for those that were wondering, ss kit, full leather seats with calais dash, spooled, pacemakers ect.
Back to the subject the reason why i would like to rebuild one is i know it will be fresh and should last me atleast 2 years until i get off my P's. I have a bad habit of doing bottom ends. Upto 5 now. And changing engines every couple of months gets old real quick.

Anyway this is what im looking at getting. Have i missed anything ? Anything you would change ? It will be a n/a engine with a mace cam so should i up the compression or leave it as is ?
Anyway current list is:
Oil Pump
Main Bearings
Big End Bearings
Cam Bearings
Cam & Chip
Water Pump
Head Bolts
Rocker cover gasket
Thermostat Seal
Block Girdle
Pushrods
Throttle Body
Valve springs
Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Machined oil pump cover
Double row timing chain
Thermostat
Hypatec pistons

Unsure whether i can use stock conrods with the hypatec pistons. Or can someone reccomend any? Keep in mind it will not be a race car engine so i dont think forged would be needed but something that can handle high rpm as i will be taking it to heathcote skidpad every now and then to get it out of my system.

Anyway thanks for reading. Began to strip the engine today. Will finish tomorrow.
k9ezhw.jpg

muvcax.jpg

2cna2h0.jpg

Clubby_Don

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubby 1109 build number
I see ur from vic.. i was going to say just drop a v8 or supercharged v6 in it as they are pretty cheap now days.. but your laws are not the same as nsw..

My opinion is just keep buying second hand v6s untill ur off ur Ps..

I dont see the point in spending thousands on a v6 unless your going to supercharge or turbo it so why not keep buying 300-400$ engines and spend the $$$ on a decent 355 v8 to drop in when you off ur Ps.. or even better a ls1 and reco it..

Just my opinion but if your going through v6s then a worked v6 might only last a year or 2 depending on how hard u are on it

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Problem with these V6's is they dont like revs...dosnt matter how much you spend, if your hanging off the rev limiter they go bang eventually...The bottom end on these thing flex at high revs,its is basically a truck motor from the 50's and will keep on keeping on if allowed to plod along.The yanks have done some pretty cool things to the buick v6, have a look at the buick GNX sites (most of the development is in forced induction),they are also used by the boat guys..The yanks have been playing with these thing for ages

How Strong Is A Standard Buick V6 Block? - Hot Rod Magazine
Basic Rebuild Guide
MACE MAIN CAP/STUD GIRDLE TO SUIT BUICK, ECOTEC & L67 SUPERCHARGED V6 - Mace Engineering Group

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
No you can't put a later vn/vp/vr crank in an early vn block.
Early is a rope seal inside the rear main cap and the later is a 1 piece neoprene seal pressed into the rear of the block/cap.

Intake manifold, cam (and method of retaining the cam), timing cover, timing chain/sprockets/tensioner, block, crank and harmonic balancer are the big differences that aren't interchangeable.
Could put the later intake manifold on if you swapped the heads over. But you're better of rebuilding a complete VR engine for n/a applications than any vn/vp donk.
Keep the lifter retainers and spider plate and use that in a later block as it stops so much hot oil being flung up onto the intake manifold though.