Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR engine to VG ute conversion

VGUTECHICK

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SV6 SIDI sedan
Hi guys, this is my first post so I hope some of you can help me out.

I have a 1990 VG ute as a daily driver. The poor old girl is fast approaching the 400 000km mark so is naturally getting rather tired. I clock up around 1000km per week plus tow a horse float regularly too so I'm after a strong reliable engine. I'm considering putting a VR engine into her. I've been told this is a simple swap and all the wiring harness will just plug in. Is this correct?

She currently has a T5 gearbox which this weekend will be getting new synchros, spigot and throwout bearing and a new clutch plate put in. Will this box bolt straight up to the VR engine or will I have to change the flywheel? Being a 1990 S2 engine it should have the 8 bolt flywheel in it. Any other tips on rebuilding the gearbox would be much appreciated as the friend who is doing it for me has no experience with the T5's although he has rebuilt many other various types over the years. Are there any tricks or glitches I should know about?

Any other advice about this swap will be most welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
wel swapped and got a vr engine running using a vn wiring loom and memcal last night runs without a hitch, will bolt the box straight up . check out savage1987 vn page for pics and what not.