Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Error Code 47 (Need Help)

M

midnightinaus

G'day

I've got a '93' VR.. Error code I'm getting is 47 which to my knowledge is missing 18x signal.

Does anyone know what this is and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

J

JEZ088

i THINK that it is refering to u have a problem with the CAS.. does ur car find it hard to start sometimes at all?? do u have any problems that might help diagnose it?

if im right and your CAS is down the shitter than to fix it u need to remove the harmonic balance and replace the sensor that is found behind it.. cost for a Crak Angle Sensor u are looking at around $60, atleast thats what i got quoted, but u will also need a harmonic balance puller ($22) and a good torque wrench if u replace it yourself, altho the main bolt holding in the harmonic balance is an absolute prick to remove.. i need to do mine too but just havent gotten around to it haha

hope that helps at all.. and i hope im right:whistling

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Definatly crank angle sensor.

M

midnightinaus

Yeah I figured it might have something to do with that. I'm getting code 49 now aswell which is Cam / Crank Shaft Signal Intermittent.

But I haven't had a problem starting it, it usually starts within 3 seconds.

Thanks for the info. I'll replace the crank angle sensor and just see how it goes then.

Would this cause the car to cough or stall occasionally though? 99.9% of the time the car runs perfectly but then I could be driving along and without any warning lights the thing has a cough or just stalls for no known reason.

I put it down to shitty fuel but the problem has even got a few mechanics wondering what it is aswell. Before I got the car it had been to about 8 mechanics and about $800 spent on it and it still never solved the stalling problem.

I'll shut up now.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
yes sure will :), get new machenics, any one that knows about a commodore should pick that up straight away, even if they only read a gregories manual they would figure out how to do a self diagnostics at least

M

midnightinaus

haha yeah a couple of em didn't even know what an aldl diagnostic cable was. But I never picked the mechanics, it was the last owner.

When he owned it, the car would stall every few minutes though and when I first got the car we changed a few sensors, put in mobil 1 oil, put the right exhaust system in and also plugged in the radiator fan (whoever put it in must have been distracted haha) and it has pretty much stopped the problem.

These crank codes have only come up over the past few weeks.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The crank angle sensor (CAS) will do some weird things when it is failing. Sometimes it will cause your car to stall on the odd occasion and start back up straight away. Sometimes it will start and run fine until you try to start it again while its warm and sometimes it will stall every week. It will normally spit out different errors too, but if 47 is in there, theres a very good chance.

SIKVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina N/A V6 3.8
occasionally ive had this problem and its only now its pissing me off it sometimes takes 2-5 attempts to start and when it does its like its misfiring like a real snotty drag spec v8 then it revs up to 2000rpm then settles down to to normal and the other day it started when i was driving to work stoped at the lights and it would rev up die rev up die put it in neutal and she'll settle down.. so im guessing now that its spitting the 49 error i should replace the CAS and at this time should i get a new timing chain... a HOW TO on replace the chain would be good i dont have to worry bout tools as i can use works (SAVES MY TOOLS LOL) and a rattle gun on the crank is good...
to remove the crank if your game and u trusts a mate hold a powerbar and get your mate to start the engine but kill it start away..

protossw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 EXECUTIVE
my car has the same problem,,,
what is the general labour cost to change it? i can buy a crank sensor with 55 bucks. it seems it is a bit difficult for me to replace it according to jez088~