Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Exec wants to be more of a Statesman !

syndosis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 94 Commodore
Hello there guys..
My VR executive is really aspiring to be more. I have just been replacing parts etc as broken or as I stuff up the paint job on interior pieces so far but really wanna get more features into my Exec. I see a Cruise control setup can be put in with some fiddling and this looks like an option for the future.

I would like to know at moment though, has a Climate control module ( with display screen etc ) been put into an Executive VR before and if so can anyone provide instructions and pics on what to do, where to splice etc or is it a simple job of getting a loom adapter or something..

Also can I just plug a Belina speed adjustable wiper arm into my existing socket or is more needed ?

Does the BCM control all these extras and is it easy to just put in a Mid range to replace my Low range ?

The VR/Lexen workshop manual i have states that the low range handles Cruise control if fitted. any ideas ?

Hopeing you can help. Many thanks in advance

I have started turning my boring green interior into a nice black and extras. will post pics at some stage. Interior first as things are cheaper to add and in time will work on exterior though not much needs doing really. Will also be modding engine soon too hopefully. Just looking for ideas. All suggestions welcome if constructive

Damon

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
climate control would be a huge job, apparently, basically a rework to the whole system - a change over to electrical components

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
cruise will go in with some fiddling around. the climate control needs about three or more sensors the screen the heater box changed (need to take out the dash). basically heaps of stuff needs to be done. the bcm i think is a pain as well cos if the donor car has climate then the bcm won't run standard ac. if this stuff wants to be done i suggest buying a wrecked stato that has everything that you want and do a full loom, bcm and accesory changed. probably save a lot of hassles in the long run.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yea, what everyone above is saying. Some things might be fairly easy, simply a matter of adding it in and connecting it on, but anything that runs off the bcm (thats alot) will be a problem, and while some are easy mods, others are more $ and trouble than they are worth.

But ofcourse, can be done if youre keen and willing to put in the time and $.

syndosis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 94 Commodore
Appreciate that clarification on whats required. I will keep plodding away at the little things or those reasonably easy to do.

the issue of speed adjustable wiper control... Is that just a matter of swapping the stalk over ?

Well sounds like I will be starting work to the engine sooner than expected then.

Tips on order of mods to make the best result for less $ ?
I have 2.5" exhaust but no extractors so thats prob number one.
Cold air intake is going on with K&N filter this weekend

Any advise on the cheapish ( $20 - $50 ) mods on ebay ? usually just a resistor or something with instructions...
Anyone have that info on what resister and where to put it and can post it here ?

All advise on what mods to do next would be appreciated

Thanks
Damon

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
I'm looking at the variable intermittent wiper too, so if I get answers, I'll let you know.
engine mods - CAI/filter, extractors, shift kit trans, tune, diff gear swap should see you well faster than stock.
evilbay mods? send me the money instead, at least it'll be put to good use (in english - don't waste your oney on this crap) but really... send me money

syndosis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 94 Commodore
Howde TheForgotten
Thanks for that. Well just got CAI in mail today, getting K&N filter ( let me know if thats a waste ) over weekend, Extractors I will get, Shift Kit....What will that do for me ?, What gear swap should I do...?

Thanks

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
shift kits make your trans shift faster, sometimes harder aswell. so you don't have those sloppy slow shifts.
diff gears - I would recommend 3.7 or 3.9 if you're keeping it n/a, or if your getting a sc/turbo, get 3.45 gears.
k&n, I can't comment, because I refuse to spend $100 on something I can buy from supershit auto for $10. that extra 90 will buy you an extra 1 or 2 kw, not worth the money IMO. stick with ryco or similar, bang out the loose dirt every time you check oil/coolant, and replace it every 5-10,000 km

syndosis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 94 Commodore
Would like comments on K&N filters from others too please. I am very hesitant spending those $ if no significant diferance can be had.

S/C or Turbo,, where would I get either for my 3.8L and roughly how much should i expect to pay ?

thanks for all your help... I have got some excellent clarifications and already saved money on parts and thanks to this research have a clearer idea of what to do...

Damon

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
the BCM controls variable intermittant wipers. I think that the cruise will work with the low spec BCM too