Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Gearbox Issue - Wont drive in "D"

pedrotski

Big Stato!!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitcroftit.com.au
Members Ride
95 & 96 VS 5L Statos
Hey,

My friend has a VR and its running a fairly high powered cammed 355.

Basically what happened is she gave it abit of stick and after that it wont drive once its in "D" on the selector. However, When shifting manually it will change gears normally.

The gearbox has everything under the sun done to it strength wise and is only 18,000ks old. Most important things would be its shift kitted and has a 3000rpm stall.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the spedo works sometimes and sometimes doesnt. I know the sensor is on the box so maybe it could be electrical?

Any help would be appreciated.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
Hey,

My friend has a VR and its running a fairly high powered cammed 355.

Basically what happened is she gave it abit of stick and after that it wont drive once its in "D" on the selector. However, When shifting manually it will change gears normally.

The gearbox has everything under the sun done to it strength wise and is only 18,000ks old. Most important things would be its shift kitted and has a 3000rpm stall.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the spedo works sometimes and sometimes doesnt. I know the sensor is on the box so maybe it could be electrical?

Any help would be appreciated.
check is whether the gear change linkage, from T bar to the actual transmission is loose. If it is loose at the T bar, the cutouts in the gate may prevent you from properly selecting "D"....and the same for where the linkage meets the trans. If you put it in "R" what happens....same for "P"? Go to this link and see if any of the problems match yours. http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/4l60e-problems-and-solutions-297698/

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Speedo sensor is on the output shaft housing at the back of the box. The 4l60e relies on the speedo sensor for information relating to vehicle speed so it is highly possible that a faulty speedo won't allow it to change gears correctly. Try putting a known working one from a mates car (or your car even if it's auto) in there and see if that fixes your problem.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The auto trans also uses the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) signal to help regulate the gear shifts.It might be faulty.