Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Handbrake Cable Repair - How??

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
My missus VR handbrake cable was not working. I got under there to adjust it as per normal, like I have done on my VR many times. I went to loosen the nuts and the cable popped back a fair way. I got into the car and the cable is now not even attached to the handbrake lever. WTF???
Anyone know how to fix this problem?? Do you have to pull out the centre console and remove the handbrake level assy.
Help me please, CHEERS:bow:

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
All done

Well I worked it out for myself.:thumbsup: For anyone else who needs to know, you do have to pull out the centre console. This is easy, then you have to get a spanner down between the carpet and the mounting for the handbrake lever. Undo the two bolts holding on the lever and unplug the handbrake light switch wire. Get under the car and undo the two nuts on the adjusting rod. Now you can remove the handbrake lever.

What happened to mine is the pin holding on the rod let go, a common problem apparently. I had to put the assembly back together then belt the pin with a hammer to get it to stay in. Problem solved, put it all back and, now the handbrake works better than it ever did. :w00t: