Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR hard to start

SSbeast

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been covered before, tried search but no luck. It's a VR V6 1994 and to start it i need to turn it over and put my foot on the accelarater and rev it to start if i just start it with no accelarator it'll start then stall. Also when i put my foot down to start it, a large amount of light gray smokes comes out, smells like fuel. Anyone one have any ideas how to fix the problem? I'm thinking injectors or fuel filters are blocked but not sure.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
I'm not sure if this has been covered before, tried search but no luck. It's a VR V6 1994 and to start it i need to turn it over and put my foot on the accelarater and rev it to start if i just start it with no accelarator it'll start then stall. Also when i put my foot down to start it, a large amount of light gray smokes comes out, smells like fuel. Anyone one have any ideas how to fix the problem? I'm thinking injectors or fuel filters are blocked but not sure.

I'd start by looking at the idle control system on the throttle body, could probably do with a good cleanout. Also check the coolant temperature sensor, it could be telling the ECU it is much colder than it is, causing an overly rich fuel mixture on startup. Also check your oxygen sensors, they could also be causing the engine to run too rich.

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
My money would be that either your filter/injectors are blocked, or your spark plugs are foul. Does it have a misfire?

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
I'd almost bet money its the fuel regulator, :thumbsup: my GF's VR V6 was doing the exact same things, fuel average usage was around 26 - 27 L/100k's. replaced the reg, perfect starting and down to 11L/100k's average :w00t: Take the vaccume line off the reg and see if fuel comes out? If yes its ratsh*t! Diaphram gets a hole and fuel leaks into vaccume side and therefore sucked straight into the intake. I just had to cut it open to see how they worked ;) I get like that :p

SSbeast

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, keep 'em coming. I did the fuel filter, and cleaned up the Idle Air Regulator, and the car started fine for the first couple starts than started need a little longer cranking, but i don't need to use the accearator. However i smelt the exhaust and i small like it's just blowing out fuel same as before. I think mabye the oxy and temp may need changing.

W

whisky

Give it a compression test and let us know,

I reckon it's the valve stem seals or it's dropped a valve.

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8, Raptor S/C
SSbeast, i agree with auc05l.
it sounds like a fuel related problem, i don't think it's the oxygen sensor, temp sensor or IAC (idle valve) when it hasn't started up yet!
the oxygen and temp sensors do their job when the engine is up to operating temperature together with the temp sensor, by sending different voltages back to the computer so it knows to lean out.
when cold the computer puts in a predetermined rich fuel mixture and thus the IAC opens up and lets more air in to mix with this rich mix, as the throttle is closed.
it sounds like the regulator is not working properly and leaking fuel into the vacuum line, hence riching it beyond burning range, so when you open the up throttle the extra air brings it back down to burning range and it starts.
or the fuel return line may be blocked and instead of returning fuel back to the tank, it's going into the throttle.
this is a very simple test to determine the fuel regulator is malfunctioning, have you noticed that every time you turn the ignition on (before cranking it to start) the fuel pump comes on for between 1-3 seconds then turns off - basically build up fuel pressure ready for the start, and what ever is passed through the regulator goes back to the tank.
turn on the ignition (dont start) and hear if the pump stops within 3 seconds, if not....the regulator is not holding the pressure. (get under the back and have a second person turn on the ignition so you can hear).
then try disconnecting the return hose at the regulator then connect another hose into the regulator into a clear bottle and have the second person turn on the ignition and see if fuel comes out - SAFETY - DO NOT START THE ENGINE WHILE TESTING THIS.

see how you go.

ps. i hope, at least this message explained something about the sensors...

Last edited:

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
my brothers vh is like that... u have to near flood the thing 2 start it.. mechanics he goes 2 dont no what it is thou... but my bro has bad taste in everything except cars... maybe mechanics included..

SSbeast

Reaction score
I tried the turning the car to reds and listen for the fuel pump, it stopped within the 3sec and I checked the regulator and that seemed fine. I car will start fine if i've been driving it to operating temp then turn it off and leave it for about 15min after that it's the accelerator thingo. However when i listened for the fuel pump it sounded like it was sucking air although the tank was half full, sounding like someone sucking the last bit out of a milkshake. Any ideas there? Is the fuel pump strainger got a weight to hold it down?