Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR heating problem?

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
bought some of that Wynns Injector Cleaner, and ever since i put the stuff in my temp needle goes up relatively high but then cools straight back down after the vehicle has been cold. (start in morning). is this stuff meant to do that in order to give the injectors a good clean by getting warm from cold?

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
I am no expert, but I don't think the injector cleaner is meant to do that, and I doubt if it is the cause of your problem.

My guess is that, coincidently, you are having thermostat problems - Someone with more expertise might have some more light to shed on the matter.

Marcho

Marcho"s R.I.D.E
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Accliam S2
Mate sounds like you have a block in the thermo, give it a good flush and see if that fixes the problem. If you hear rushing water every now and then thats what is causing your car to over heat. Injector cleaner should not cause you car to overheat unless it has washed rubbish from in your fuel lines into an injector causing the motor to work harder .

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
how long should i wait before i think about flushing the cooling system? the heating problem wasnt that bad today, could it just be an injector with a bit of crap in it?

Marcho

Marcho"s R.I.D.E
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Accliam S2
As soon as the temp starts to creep back up. Get a flush done on the system. Another good way to check the system is too, top up your coolant take the car for a run to warm it up, then wait till the car has completely cooled down, pop your radiator cap off and have a look at the level inside. If it is lower than normal then you have a block in the system. Also when you use the Air con or heater, if you hear water running then it needs a flush as there is build up in the system. If any of your injectors are blocked then the cylinder that has that injector will also run rough as it is not getting enough fuel. Have a listen with the bonnet open or get your injectors flushed by a professional.

Last edited:

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
Also, when your car is at operating temperature, check to see if both the upper and lower radiator hoses are roughly the same temperature. The top hose will be a tad more hotter than the bottom. but if the top is much hotter than the bottom, or vice versa, your thermostat needs replacing.

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
can flushing the system be bad sometimes? when i got it checked the guy said that flushing the system doesnt always work and that they dont react well if they're a little bit older. how much am i looking at to flush the system or is it easy to do myself?

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
in reguards to that sumtimes flushing the system can loosen the crap thats stopping the block. notice that lil screw on top of the thermostat cover, after a drive open that bugger and listen to the air rush out. :p and your cooling should get better

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
you dont know where your thermostat cover is? maybe you shouldnt flush it yourself, get sumone to show you first