Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr indicator problem, pleasssse help

giffo2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr executive
i was driving my vr today and all of a sudden my indicators weren't working, they were just dead. then they started working intermitantly, they would start working then stop working. also the flasher unit makes a long clicking noise really fast sometimes. is it just my flasher unit gone bad? or is it something more serious?

thanks in advance guys

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
giffo it could be a few things, probly something simple but not sure which one.
likely to be a dodgy switch / wire / connection somewhere in the blinker circuit.
Could be in the indicator stalk from 15 years of flexing up and down each time you use the blinker. Cruise suffers the same fate as its in the same stalk. Replacement of the stalk will fix both if thats where your problem is. Could also be the hazard light switch, is it the one on the dash between the AC and rear demister ? they are often dodgy. try pushing it on and off a few times see if that works.
Genuine blinker switches with cruise are about $70 from holden

giffo2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr executive
can someone tell me where the flasher is and how to do a test on indicator stalk

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The flasher unit (or flasher/blinker can) is located below the steering column in the fuse box.It looks very similar to a normal relay.You will notice that theres a couple of relays above the fuses.The far right "relay" on the end is actually the flasher unit.It just pulls straight out of its socket just like a relay does.You can buy them at auto stores.Take the old one in with you.Get a heavy duty one if you have a towbar fitted to your car,as trailer indicators put an extra load on the flasher unit.Id just fit a heavy duty one anyway.They arent expensive.

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
Hazard light switch is a common item to fail causing indicator problems.

Activate the hazard light switch 100 times and check if that has fixed your problem, more likely that it needs a new switch.