Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR injectors into VS

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
I've been wanting to replace/clean my injectors and rang a few places and spoke to a few ppl in the know. I found out that the VR injectors are better than the vs/vt & vn/vp injectors. They reckon the VR are the best and the worst are the VT ones.
Apparently the VR ones have better flow, more efficient and are better designed than the rest. So i ordered a set of Bosch VR injectors for my car for $300 from my mate who owns a spare parts place ($50 each!!compared to $110each from holden). I thought better off buying new ones than paying $200 to get mine cleaned(car done 219,000km). Once i put them in I'll let you's no how they perform. Hopefully they will make my car start better and stop the hesitating when cold; as ive allready changed fuel pump, leads(coils are fine), sparkys,fuel filter, cleaned:tb,plenum and iacv and run the car always on BPultimate.
I even got advised by Holden & Powerflow to get the VR ones instead of VS/VT ones. Everyone i spoke to reccomended the VR ones on the rest.

Has anyone else done this?

Is it hard to replace injectors? If it not too complicated i will do it myself on saturday , if too hard then ill just get my mech to put em in when i get the trans serviced.

Thanks
Jamie:thumbsup:

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Changing the injectors is easy if you know what your doing, do you have a Gregory's will help if you have a copy.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
yeah ive got an ellery's one i think, i wanted a gregorys but no-one sold it around my area, my dad reckons it easy, ill have alook at the workshop manual and see how i go, hope it makes a difference!

spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pac S2 M5
Yeah, let us now how it goes!!??

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
yeah no prob, im picking them up on way home from work tonight, ill give it a go tomorrow, if its too hard ill have to go down and see my mechanic.

spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pac S2 M5
Thanks.

I would say you will be able to do it. There fairly simple, just make sure the seals are on properly around the injector.

Maybe a reset of the computer to? the one where you just take out the fuse for 1 minute??

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Surprised!

I am surprised by the claim that VR injectors are better than later ones.

Somewhere along the track, they were changed to what I think is called director plate injectors, which are supposedly dramatically less likely to cause problems through clogging.

My VSII is now only six months from ten years old (I bought it new), only very rarely gets an injector cleaner added to the tank (probably one every two years) and I have seen no indication that the injectors are anywhere near needing cleaning or changing. Performance is still good, and it still gives 35 MPG or better on a trip.

I have a spare set of new VY injectors I bought for $100 off Ebay if I ever need them, but I doubt that I will.

It is true that earlier Commodores had more urge at low throttle settings, which gave them a tendency to spin rear wheels during acceleration. That was "corrected" by throttle body and computer mapping changes I believe, not by less capable injectors.

Still, I await your findings with interest.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
it's true that the vn was a brute at light throttle
weather grandmar or toyota complained of this dunno
but the engine was pegged back

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
I am surprised by the claim that VR injectors are better than later ones.

Somewhere along the track, they were changed to what I think is called director plate injectors, which are supposedly dramatically less likely to cause problems through clogging.

My VSII is now only six months from ten years old (I bought it new), only very rarely gets an injector cleaner added to the tank (probably one every two years) and I have seen no indication that the injectors are anywhere near needing cleaning or changing. Performance is still good, and it still gives 35 MPG or better on a trip.

I have a spare set of new VY injectors I bought for $100 off Ebay if I ever need them, but I doubt that I will.

will let u all know outcome after i put them in and take for a drive, see if i notice any difference.

It is true that earlier Commodores had more urge at low throttle settings, which gave them a tendency to spin rear wheels during acceleration. That was "corrected" by throttle body and computer mapping changes I believe, not by less capable injectors.

Still, I await your findings with interest.

Fekason,
i have done a bit of homework before i made the decision to buy them, according to powerflow & holden,the VS/VT injectors are more of an older style injector and not as effieicnt as VR injectors, apparently the VS/Vt injectors are based on an 1980's design, where as VR injectors are based on a 90's design.Im still wondering why holden went to an older design injector for the VS/VT.
Im not changing the injectors for power, im changing them becuase of the problem i have with my car as stated in above post. Im just eliminating each which could cause my problem.
The earlier model commodores had more punch off the line as they were a different engine, the torque range was different and the cars weighed less. The Vn-Vr motors had more torque down low(making them quick off the line) ,vs onwards dont have the same torque at the lower rpm. But this is also due to different gearing, transmissions, weight etc. I find the VS motor has more high rpm power than the buick motors, but the buick motor was definetly quicker off the line,I had a vp before the vs.
With the weelspin in the vn,apart from re mapping etc it was also fixed via adding a bellmouth to the intake which helped distribute the air evenly into each cylinder , due to owners also complaining of rough idle with series1 vn's.

Your lucky u have had ur car since new so u know how its been treated etc... whereas i bought my car last year, i dnt no how many ppl have had it or what fuel they gave it, how often serviced etc... but as i eliminate probably causes the car keep running better and better. So it seems im slowly fixing the problem.

i will let u all know how it goes, and if it makes a difference.

Regards
jamie

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Old Thread.

Air Strike provided the following infomation on another thread last year.

Found a old notepad file on my comp with the info I was after:
VN SERIES 1, 8-88 TO 10-90 USES INJECTOR NUMBER 0280150901 WHICH FLOWS 146.3 GPM @ 3 BAR. RESISTANCE 14.5 OHMS.

VN SERIES 2, 11-90 TO 10-91 USES INJECTOR NUMBER 0280150960 WHICH FLOWS 150.5 GPM @ 3 BAR. RESISTANCE 14.5 OHMS.
THESE INJECTORS ARE ALSO FITTED IN THE VG UTE 11-90 TO 10-91, VP COMMODORE 11-91 TO 07-93, VR COMMODORE 06-93 TO 04-95.

VT - VY N/A, 09-97 TO 06-03, USES INJECTOR NUMBER 0280155777 WHICH FLOWS 150 GPM AT 3.5 BAR. RESISTANCE 12 OHMS.

THE VN - VR INJECTORS ARE WHAT IS CLASSED AS AN EV-1 INJECTOR PINTLE TYPE WHICH ARE OPEN TO PROBLEMS WHEN USED AT AN INCORRECT FUEL PRESSURE, HOSING IS A PROBLEM IF PRESSURE IS TOO LOW OR TOO HIGH AND THE PATTERN CAN ALSO BE FORCED TOO WIDE FOR THE TARGET AREA IF PRESSURE IS TOO HIGH.

VT - VY INJECTORS ARE WHAT IS CLASSED AS AN EV-6 INJECTOR WHICH USES A MULTI ORIFICE DIRECTOR PLATE STYLE TECHNOLOGY TO BETTER ATOMISE FUEL ACROSS VARIOUS OPERATING PRESSURES. THESE INJECTORS ALLOW MORE FLEXIBILITY IN RELATION TO OPERATING PRESSURES WITHOUT COMPROMISING SPRAY EFFICIENCY OR FUEL ATOMISATION.

Unfortunately it doesn't list the VS, but I thought that the VT was the first with the director plate.

I will be interested to know the outcome, but I must admit that I am very happy with the Ecotech in both my VSII and VYII, so I am not concerned re injectors at the moment.

My understanding is that without remapping the chip, the O2 sensors will drive both injectors to the same point.