Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Int Illum Fuse Blowing over & over again

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
Hey All,

ive had a poke around and couldnt find any info, so i figured id ask here.

my vr, is suddenly blowing the interiour illumination fuse as soon as i insert it.
not being an auto elec, i did the basic things.

Checked for blown globes + removed the blown ones.
put new fuse in and open the door to activate the center light + boom... blown.
(note: before replacing the fuse, i engaged the ignition to kill the interiour light)

from there i disconnected the wiring looms under the drivers side kick panel (i beleive, this disconnects all rear electrics (brake lights, center roof light, boot light etc).
put new fuse in and open the door + boom... blown fuse #122020.
it doesnt appear to matter which door opens to activate the center light, it blows the fuse either way.

has anyone run into this problem before and have any idea on how to fix it ?
my only idea is that its 'something in the front of the car'... possibly a dodgy earth.

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
fixed

after 6 hours of sifting through the wiring diagram in the gregory's service book, i managed to find the cause of the fault.

i recently fitted a new steering wheel & boss, so i revisited that area (the steering surround) and noticed the two little wires that power the light near the keyhole for the ignition were pinched, so i re-did the wiring and its all good now.

hopefully this helps someone else that runs into this issue.

nobullneeded

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SVZ
Thanks

Thank you very much for posting up what was causing your fault.
After fiddling for 30 mins and braking an interior light cover by being to impatient taking it off.

I turned to the internet. You were spot on!
Same 2 wires had been crossed and pinched together, Taped them up with electrical tape and all is fine again.

The car had an aftermarket steering wheel when i brought it, Removed it straight away for replacement with a stock wheel. Also was a 94 Model VR

Once Again
Thankyou