Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr ll gear changing hard?

Braydenreid

Reaction score
Members Ride
S/C VX Calais
i recently bought a v6 vr ll and the guy told me it had a heavy duty clutch but the clutch has the got literrally all the way to the floor and it engages as soon as i movemy foot the littlest bit. and you have to slam it into gear? the prevoius owner snapped the gear stick because its so hard! i got a mechnic to look at it and they just fiddled with the clutch cable and that changed the friction point.. does anyone know what it could be? clutch was replaced 2 yrs ago and i changed the oil and tightened up all the bolts

Vr5speedv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr exec 5.0L 5speed
So is the friction point ok now? What sort of oil did you use in the box? You should only use dextron3 ATF in the later (world class) T5's.
But if it's that difficult to shift I'd say the syncros would be shagged by now.

Braydenreid

Reaction score
Members Ride
S/C VX Calais
yea the friction point is betta... i used castrol Manual VMX 80, the guy at super cheap said it was the right one and it also says it on the botle.
can you change the syncros without without rebuilding the gear box? or is a new one in order?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The wrong type of oil in the gearbox can cause the shifter to be hard and heavy to shift..Id be checking exactly what holden uses and recommends for that particular gearbox and stick to that.As mentioned above some manual boxes even use auto trans fluid instead of oil,which most people would not expect.

Vr5speedv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr exec 5.0L 5speed
yea the friction point is betta... i used castrol Manual VMX 80, the guy at super cheap said it was the right one and it also says it on the botle.
can you change the syncros without without rebuilding the gear box? or is a new one in order?

Yeah mate new syncros requires stripping down the box, but I'd give the dex111 a try first. You'll be amazed by the difference it makes.
Don't forget to keep filling it until the fluid comes out of the fill plug as well ;)

Braydenreid

Reaction score
Members Ride
S/C VX Calais
aight ill try that soon.. can you buy it from any auto shop? other wise ill have to start saving for a new box :/

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
In the workshop manual it says the recommended lubricant for the T5 gearbox is the Dexron 111 type fluid and 150 mls of lubrizol 7906.You should be able to get these at any auto parts place.(supercheap etc).The Getrag gearbox uses 75W-85 gear oil.The guy who sold you the gear oil for the T5 should be shot.I wonder if they are liable for damages if they sell you the wrong type of oil and it stuffs something up?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I just had a look at the specs for the castrol VMX80 and it definitely can replace the Dexron 111 type fluid for holden 4 and 5 speed gearboxes,so it should be ok.(Sorry to the guy at supercheap for shooting you.)It should be ok.Id still try the Dexron111 fluid though instead of the VMX80.You never know.The Dexron 111 is what they were designed to originally use apparently.

Braydenreid

Reaction score
Members Ride
S/C VX Calais
thanks for the help, ill probs leave it for now n see how it goes, but ill probs end up changing it sometime soon

Beno1982

Beno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6 sedan
When i done mine i used 150Ml of lubrisol and ATF4000 transmission fluid