Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr loosing coolant

maltese2please

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr II bt1
hi people ive got a 95 vr v6 and everytime i fill my cooling reserve bottle up but the next morning its empty, there is no water in the oil no gunk no water in the throttle body it spits out a bit of water out the exhaust but i guess thats normal, the temp never goes past half but always stays at a cirtan point that is just below the second bar, ive flushed the radiator and there is no bubbles i need help !!!!!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check your radiator cap - the seal goes and they need replacing every few years plus they are under $10. Another prime item is the water pump - check under the pump carefully as the coolant usually evaporates before it drops to the ground. Both these items will cause a loss of coolant whilst not affecting the normal operating temp of the engine (at least not till you run out of coolant!)
Good Luck.

maltese2please

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr II bt1
hii i got a radiator cap a few months ago so i dont think its that if its the water pump how come ive got water out the zorst? thanks for your input i apriciate it

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
a bit of moisture is normal there's always moisture in the air which then gets combusted, but water doesn't combust so it gets spit out the exhaust. Id be checking your water pump for leaks also, the gasket usually leaks before anything else, if there was to much water coming out the exhaust they your engine either wouldn't be running or not very good.

maltese2please

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr II bt1
hii i got a radiator cap a few months ago so i dont think its that if its the water pump how come ive got water out the zorst? thanks for your input i apriciate it

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As The1 says, it's more or less normal for water to come out of the exhaust especially during warmup....once the engine reaches operating temperature there should be none - if it's still spitting water when hot then it could be the inlet manifold gasket gone although you will usually get a misfire when this happens.
A check to see if you radiator cap is OK (despite being only a few months old) is to check that the top radiator hose is still firm to squeeze after a warm/hot engine has been switched off for 10 minutes. If the hose goes soft, this will indicate that the cap is losing pressure.
Try using a mirror to check under the water pump for leaks. The heater tap can also leak as well as a split tank on the radiator or leaking heater core. Most leaks are a bit difficult to trace as the coolant evaporates almost immediately, sometimes leaving a white powdery residue.
Good Luck.

maltese2please

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vr II bt1
hi i took the car for a little drive and when i got back the radiator hose had perssure in it and when i went back around 15 min after it still had pressure in cause i tried to take the radiator cap off and it bubbled so i didnt take it off i looked under the water pump there is no dried coolant, and with the exhaust issue it leaves a rusty residue in the middle of the pipe as if its been running out and stayed and now its created surface rust and also should these cars drink alot of water? and if i had blown a head gasket would my car run **** ? cause its still got alot of power (well for a 6 LOL) and never runs hot

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
typical signs of head gasket is loosing coolant and sometimes pushing lots of coolant back into the overflow bottle, it will usually run ruff to but depends how bad it is. Your more likely to have cracked manifold gaskets then head gaskets, Is it using any oil? is there oil in the coolant? Usually looks like white or creamy goo.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd lean towards a leaky inlet manifold gasket which is leaking coolant into the inlet manifold which then goes thru the combustion chambers and out the tailpipe. The car should drink no coolant at all - it should only need topping up maybe every 18 months unless you have a leak. Replacing the inlet manifold is not that expensive or complicated and a lot easier/cheaper than doing both head gaskets. I think there is a "how-to" on doing this job in that section of this forum.