Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR losing some power, starting off

Radar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
G'day all,

I'm having a few problems with my VR Acclaim at the moment. Well, it's off and on really, but doesn't happen all that often.

Tonight I was driving to a mates place, a couple of K from my joint. She started a bit rough, but I thought nothing of it, and started towards my mates. Half way there, I'm going through a roundabout, and lose all power steering and brakeing, and the motor essentially stalls (can't give it gas, just dies). Also, half the warning lights flashed up, but I still had radio and lights. I somehow coasted around the corner into a carpark, stopped, rested for 5 odd minutes, and got her going again with no problems.

This started a month or two back, when I did a full coolant system flush. It did it once or twice, but never again. All the fuses seem fine, and as I said, it's been fine for a couple of months, but started again tonight.

Any ideas? I'm bloody stumped. Everything should be fine, but obviously somethings up. Cheers in advance.

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
definatley sounds like a ecu error. Most the machanical electronics of the vehicle are connected on some way or another to the ecu. If the problem persists i would suggest to replace your ecu. the radio and headlights are not controlled by the ecu whitch would explan why they were working. Also if there was a mini surge than your radio would not be working and a few fuses would have blown. So definately sound like a commputer fault. (computer controlls lights on speedo)

Radar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
definatley sounds like a ecu error. Most the machanical electronics of the vehicle are connected on some way or another to the ecu. If the problem persists i would suggest to replace your ecu. the radio and headlights are not controlled by the ecu whitch would explan why they were working. Also if there was a mini surge than your radio would not be working and a few fuses would have blown. So definately sound like a commputer fault. (computer controlls lights on speedo)

Thanks for that, that's what I pretty much figured, it has to be the ECU pretty much. Bloody annoying that is, any idea of what I'm up for replacement wise?

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
sounds like your cas is on the way out

Wouldnt go as far as the ecu yet, as maginoodle said it is very likely to be ur Crank Angle Sensor, this happens to ppl all the time and can be overlooked.

Cheers

Radar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
I certainly don't think my car is on the way out, aside from a few minor issues, she's still running well overall.

I thought it may have been Crank Angle Sensor related, but did a paperclip codes check and that didn't pick anything up other than giving me the all clear codes. So, I dunno. I do know that I have stuffall money, and that it's potentially a major problem (I'd be rather screwed if it happened on a highway). I just wan't the girl purring nicely again :(

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
I certainly don't think my car is on the way out, aside from a few minor issues, she's still running well overall.

I thought it may have been Crank Angle Sensor related, but did a paperclip codes check and that didn't pick anything up other than giving me the all clear codes. So, I dunno. I do know that I have stuffall money, and that it's potentially a major problem (I'd be rather screwed if it happened on a highway). I just wan't the girl purring nicely again :(

maginoodle referred to your cas (crank angle sensor as i stated) not your car lol. Yeh if its not showing up as an error code then it might no be that. Have u tried anything along the lines of the fuel system, i.e pump. regulator even filter just some food for thought.

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
maginoodle referred to your cas (crank angle sensor as i stated) not your car lol. Yeh if its not showing up as an error code then it might no be that. Have u tried anything along the lines of the fuel system, i.e pump. regulator even filter just some food for thought.

Fuel lines pump or filter have no connection to your vehicles engine electronics having a spaz, there completly irrelavent. If you ckeck VR fualts on this site and you will find out that the ECU is know foe failing. Also if it is failing it is not that expenisve to fix as you can get a vr ECU for under 50 bucks on ebay.