Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr manual conversion problems?

giffo2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr executive
hi guys,

i am doin a vr manual conversion soon and i got some questions about my ecu and looms.
i have bought a manual ecu to replace the auto one all i need is the loom, which is where i get confused.
can anyone tell me what exactly plugs into the manual ecu? there are two plugs, a long plug and a smaller plug what are they?
i know i have to replace the auto loom for a manual one (maybe thats what one of the plugs are?)
but do i also have to replace the engine/whole car loom?

thank you soo much guys in advance
this is really doing my head in

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
You will have to replace the whole engine loom which has the plugs for the manual ecu and for the gearbox. Or just custom your harness and get your ecu tuned to ignore the auto side

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The two plugs with heaps of pins plug into the ECU, they should be right next to each other, dont know VR colours but on a vp they are blue and black, the other end that is near the battery will be a 1 grey plug one 6 pin black plug (i think) and a small single or 2 pin black plug. It will be as simple as swapping over the looms as they only plug into the car in two spots - the three plugs near the battery and one plug under the dash near the computer - just follow the loom along and youll find it.

giffo2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr executive
ok thank you soo so much, so can u tell me what looms i will need and where i might be able to get them?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
if you have a manual ECU you can probably leave the auto loom in it and just unplug the wires to the transmission and tape them up, then just plug in your new manual computer. It should be right as the manual computer is the same as an auto one with a different tune - it just ignores the whole auto side of thing and wont pay any attention to the wires you just unplugged from the auto trans. I dont think anything else talks to the trans except the ECU (ecu is called a PCM on an auto as its a powertrain control module, ie engine and trans, rather then just an engine computer)

giffo2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr executive
i had a look at the pin diagrm and the auto and manual pinout is different