Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bobby_wayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Holden Berlina V6
Hi, I recently bought a vr v6 manual gearbox and ecu with gearbox wiring and all the associated parts to bolt into my vp v6. I have a query regarding the gearbox wiring. What ecu should I use with the manual and also since my vp is auto and I have the vr manual wiring how do I wire in the speedo and reverse lights?

Will I need to change the ecu in my vp to the manual ecu supplied with my gearbox? will the car stall out at idle with the manual? I hear that the vp auto and manual used the exact same ecu so if this is true then I should only need to wire the speedo and reverse light switches and not have engine MIL issues or dtc's. Please help me as I am desperate to start the conversion

Thankyou

Wayne

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
shouldnt be a problem mate, if u have an auto ecu in a manual i believe it thinks its just forever n neutral and oif they are both swappable u shudnt have a problem.

bobby_wayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
hi thanks for your reply on this subject. I hope that it all works for me and the only stress is my speedo and reverse lights cheers :)

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
To get reverse lights working you'll need a manual short wiring loom these plug from gearbox into main harness. I think this also covers the speedo been a while though

bobby_wayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers mate, I have the harness for the gearbox as well. cheers

bobby_wayne

Reaction score
Members Ride
manual memcal

Need urgent Help, I have been into holden and looked at the part numbers for the manual and auto memcals and they are different. The thread on here about vn-vp manual conversions says I need a manual memcal or have my vp memcal reprogrammed. The kit from the VR I bought comes with the ECU from the VR and has the Manual memcal fitted in the ecu. my vp has a standard ecu with auto memcal. other than the instalation of my conversion to manual, only the memcal is stressing me out. What do I need to do to make the engine work with a manual box, what memcal do I need to run?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
MATE calm down.....

OK now listen dont worry about holden they have no idea they told me you cant buy an oil pump anymore.

You do not i repeat do not need a manual ecu or memcal in fact i ran a VP manual ecu and memcal in a S1 vn with an auto.

The only VR onwards need a manual ecu memcal and wiring loom BECAUSE they have an electronic auto which is controlled by an auto ecu. If you were to put a manual in theses models without changing them the ECU goes WTF theres no gearbox !!!

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Need urgent Help, I have been into holden and looked at the part numbers for the manual and auto memcals and they are different. The thread on here about vn-vp manual conversions says I need a manual memcal or have my vp memcal reprogrammed. The kit from the VR I bought comes with the ECU from the VR and has the Manual memcal fitted in the ecu. my vp has a standard ecu with auto memcal. other than the instalation of my conversion to manual, only the memcal is stressing me out. What do I need to do to make the engine work with a manual box, what memcal do I need to run?

If you are running the VR ECU and VR memcal, you will need to have the memcal reset to 1250.05 (KSPDSENA) for the speedo.

Added: If using VR memcal will also need to turn off the VATS the anti theft setting. Although I think you can use a VP memcal in a manual VR ECU.

Last edited:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Stuff that sell the vr memcal and ECU they're worth a mint cause theyre rare and use the vp one. Also a VR ecu wont work/fit on a vp loom and engine anyway

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Stuff that sell the vr memcal and ECU they're worth a mint cause theyre rare and use the vp one. Also a VR ecu wont work/fit on a vp loom and engine anyway

A VR manual ECU is straight plug and play, a VR Automatic ECU causes magic smoke to come out.