Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Memcal chip

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
been hearing alot about memcal chips? anygood which one is best and where can i get one

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
well i got greenfoam to retune one for me and its better then the factory hsv one i had
so just pm greenfoam

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
VT 5L, WH LS1 Stato (Daily), TDCi Focus, Probe V6
Hi,

What sort of Kw gains have been recorded with Greenfoam? i am interested to know.

cheers

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
Hi,

I 4-weeks ago i bought a Memcal from: Blackstar7000 on Ebay

eBay Seller: blackstar7000: Cars, Bikes, Boats items on eBay Australia

They just ask you what: year, model, trans and any modifications you have made to your vehicle and they program a memcal to suit your vehicle as best they can.

They conservatively report a 10-12Kw gain with the Manual VR V6 model. I can definately feel a huge difference in power, but particularly the incredible (un-holden like) smoothness of power throughout the entire rev-range.

I also bought a CAI to suit and the difference from stock (well actually from a Pod) is Fantastic.

The CAI does not effect speeds below about 75Km/h, but has significantly increased the pulling power in the 80-140Km/h Range.

The Memcal was: $165.00 (with an optional $40.00 rebate to send your stock chip back to them.) and took literally 6mins to install.

CAI was $59.00 and took about 15mins to install because you make the air box intake hole larger.

Total = $224.00 & 21mins - No doubt, The best $224.00 i have spent

Cheers

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
There's a lot of reports about Blackstar tunes running far too rich and being a bit conservative, word is that a Greenfoam tune makes more power and wastes less fuel.

I did buy a CAI from Blackstar though, because they wanted less than Holden themselves. Nice cheap mod - not sure that there's any more real power, but there's a definite increase in torque that has me leaving it in 4th in places where I'd have shifted down to third.

GUN346

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
Ive been looking at these chips from that Blackstar for my ss, but im still unsure on putting the money out for no result.

Anymore info would be sweet?
I thought they where just full of it like all those other cheap mod chips you see lol

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
theseekerr - yeah i can imagine that some purchasers of Blackstar memcals would get a richer result: i think that would be because when they're programming the memcal they are programming it based on the information you provide them, Rather than being able to real-time tune on a dyno, which undoubtably would allow you to get a more accurate (i.e. efficient/powerful) result. Better to be Rich than a Lean mix (Lean is the Damage and Heat Causer)

This greenfoam business sounds interesting, i'll have to check it out.

Yes i bought the CAI from Blackstar7000. it's identical to the SS inductions ones, without the label $$$ and a different sticker. Great Mod.

GUN346 - I've spoken with some of the team at Blackstar7000 about the changes that might be required if i mod my car further.. they definately sound like they know what they're doing, i am very happy. :D

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
Greenfoam is a member here, or you can find him as "nicefrog" on ebay. Cheaper than Blackstar, too.

As for your comments on tuning by remote - yeah, it's less likely to be perfect, but if the car is close to stock (and I'm guessing most people buying mail order tunes fall in that category) one car behaves very much like another. Anyway, word around here is that Doctor Bob (Rob's Creative Calibrations) or Greenfoam tunes are the way to go, and those that have compared them reckon they do a very similar job. Greenfoam's cheaper than Rob, though.