Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr miss firing on take off

V

vrberlina5sdp

he guys, cars done 300,000km, starting to missfire on low rpm taking off, does it in all gears when in low rpm range, 5spd.

dont think its the coil pack, maybe timing? anyone know anything about the timing chains on the vr v6 series 1?

cheers people.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Start with the cheap stuff - plugs, cables etc. May also need a plug which runs hotter to burn off any oil deposits from the worn engine.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
vrberlina5sdp said:
he guys, cars done 300,000km, starting to missfire on low rpm taking off, does it in all gears when in low rpm range, 5spd.

dont think its the coil pack, maybe timing? anyone know anything about the timing chains on the vr v6 series 1?

cheers people.

Timing is non adjustable, its all controlled by the ECU. Definately sounds like your leads, if you can get a hold of a multimeter, check the resistance for each lead, and as already mentioned, also have a good look at your plugs, and perhaps change them if they look a bit tired.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Agree, try leads first.

My limited experience points to the ignition leads as the simplest thing to check, and the most likely culprit.

With the plugs, I have heard that having the gap set too small can alkso cause misfiring, so I would look into them second.

V

vrberlina5sdp

heya gues, this post is now finished, the problem was faulty leads, they looked ok but one of them must of been no good.

new leads, all good now.. cheers guys, thanks for your help...

vrbenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 BERLINA MANUAL.
i have the same problem, it misses on accelleration. checked leads with multimeter and there all good.. but my sparks appear more orange than blue, could that be the problem?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Kinda sounds like too small a plug gap, they have to be a huge 1.5mm and NO less, or the T/B full O crap and other associated t/b sensors.

vrbenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 BERLINA MANUAL.
i changed my plug gap to 1.5mm, and my car was missing so bad it was almost undriveable. Is there any test i can do to check weather the coil pack is buggered for sure?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Anyone that's tried smaller gaps have found the opposite, geez mine crapped out big time at 1.3mm, reset em to 1.5 and all was fine.

Kinda does seem to be isolating it to spark dramas, you could get a coil from the wreckers for stuff all.

There should be multi meter tests as per the manual to check it all out.

Have ya tried new plugs ?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i thnk its worth changing your leads cos if it was a coil pack problem it would be there all the time not just at low revs under load..... resistance changes as the leads get hot so they might be alright out of the car but when its running is where it matters