Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr overheating

Rumbl

= ShAkE AnD bAkE =
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 berlina-VS ss
hey guys i got a vr v6 i have overheating issue's.
Ive changed the radiator,thermostat,all hoses,coolent,and switches and even bleed the system and when i drive the temp goe's up to full in the red then after about 1min the temp goe's back down to half way it doe's this about 2 times a day.
What would this problem be water pump perhap's or just need to be bleed again?

holdenrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
could be water pump... check the pump or need to be replace... once if u replace the water pump .. will need to bleed the system again with fresh coolant.. hope will help u?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
From your description it sounds to me more likely your temp gauge is mis-reading. It shouldn't be the waterpump as it wouldn't apparently cool down again plus it is very rare for waterpumps to stop pumping (impeller needs to be completely corroded).
Next time it goes to red, pop the bonnet and feel the top radiator hose and the radiator side tanks - unless they are very hot and you get a hot engine smell it will not bet overheating. Then make sure the connector that goes to the temp sensor is on properly and not damaged.
Maybe also bleed the system and make sure the heater is on when you bleed.
Good Luck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
From your description it sounds to me more likely your temp gauge is mis-reading. It shouldn't be the waterpump as it wouldn't apparently cool down again plus it is very rare for waterpumps to stop pumping (impeller needs to be completely corroded).
Next time it goes to red, pop the bonnet and feel the top radiator hose and the radiator side tanks - unless they are very hot and you get a hot engine smell it will not bet overheating. Then make sure the connector that goes to the temp sensor is on properly and not damaged.
Maybe also bleed the system and make sure the heater is on when you bleed.
Good Luck

What this guy said. Seriously.

I don't see it being anything other than a faulty gauge. Buy a calibrated temp gauge and install it if you really wanna be 100% sure.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Make sure you also check your Temp Sender. As it maybe sensoring it correctly but may not be sending the correct information to the Cooling System Gauge on your cluster.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
For less than $50 you can buy an infared thermometer that reads dead accurate in a split second and doesn't have to touch the measured surface - I've seen them at tricky dickies for about $29 and they are mighty handy for all sorts of things. I use mine for measuring the temperature of my beer.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 107

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Check the connector on the temp sender...(not too sure where abouts on the V8's.)
If that seems ok revise your bleed technique.

LOL at Hako too.

ausrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 SS M6/79 chev Monza
new t stats have been known to fail many many times
personally as my own safety i always drill 2X3 mm holes in them to provide at least some water flow if it fails