Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Overheats

Vr929

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr S2 Calais
Hi all i have a Vr calais s2 and it keeps over heating i have replaced the thermostat with low temp one also top rad hose and replaced coolant but when it over heats i dont hear the fan cut in so i curse to see if its the fan if it is how do i test it to see if it works also what else could be the problem

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Turn on the aircon and the fans should come on, at least you will know if the fans work.

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
i have the same sorta issue with my vs v6, when im stationary the temp gauge goes straight up pretty close to high, as soon as i take off and get the air moving straight back down to the bottom...

does ur vr overheat while just driving?

Vr929

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr S2 Calais
both when driving but most of the time stationary i turned the aircon today and i couldnt hear any fans

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
If the fans don't come on with the aircon it would suggest the fans aren't working. Check the fans are plugged in to the loom properly, also check the fan relays and fuse if there is one, I can't remember.

Vr929

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr S2 Calais
cheers bud will do tommorow

smarty091

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
yeah all i could suggest is make sure the plug is connected properly to the loom on the left side of the radiator. if it is get a test light make sure that the car is running with the A/C on and test if there is power to the connector (plug). seen a few that have had faulty power connections in the wiring.

Vr929

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr S2 Calais
hi fellas well i took out my radiator and took it to the happy wash and high pressure rinsed it replaced the thermostat with one that will open earlier i replace the bottom radiator hose because it was bolging put new tectaloy gold coolant in it and ran it it ran fan came on and now dont go any further than half way so i think it may have had an air lock also the radiator cap which was in it wasnt a recovery one just standard so it wasnt taken in any coolant from reservoir never buying parts from repco again anyway cheers fellas for all the ideas