Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR petrol gauge

Rumbl

= ShAkE AnD bAkE =
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 berlina-VS ss
hey guys just wondering if anyone know's where the fuel float is located as my fuel gauge alway's say's its full when it ain't so im guessing it's stuck in the up position i know its under the car near the tank somewhere just not to sure where

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
its in the tank itself

the pump and sender unit which has the float is all in tank. remove the tank, pop the 6 screws and pop out the sender, by rotating the sender until the float arm fits in the knotch.

if the gauge is showing full all the time, i would say you have an earth problem. i would check the earth at the tank, and make sure theres no broken wires. if possible try swapping ur cluster with a mates to see if the cluster is at fault.

Rumbl

= ShAkE AnD bAkE =
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 berlina-VS ss
alright ill try the earth wire first then before anything else what should i do just try and earth it better?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i would check the connector

when did this fault start occuring?

Rumbl

= ShAkE AnD bAkE =
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 berlina-VS ss
when i brought the car it was already like that. I thought it was a full tank when i got it but nope it wasnt

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
if you have a multimeter, check to see if the ground is present in the connector, its usless checking for voltage cos its only there for a few secs on ignition on. if you have ground in the connector, could be the sender stuck

Rumbl

= ShAkE AnD bAkE =
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 berlina-VS ss
Well i checked to see if the connector had earth going through it and it does so it must be the sender stuck or the actual speedo so now time to check them.
How would i check the sender?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
personnally i would pull it out of the tank to test it. then you can easily check the resistance at full and empty. but the earth aside, if when the send and pump was replaced before you got the car, it could be as simple as the float arm is jammed on the swirl pot showing full on the gauge.

regardless either way u have to drop the tank and remove the sender. i do believe the easist thing and most basic thing to test.

i'll link you a thread for the tank

EDIT: here it is, nice description of another issue but u'll see what i mean about the swirlpot: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/72197-dodgy-fuel-pump.html

Rumbl

= ShAkE AnD bAkE =
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 berlina-VS ss
In the mean time how many km per tank will i get roughly since my gauge wont tell me

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i wouldnt have the faintist. but you can work this out by filling up, driving say 100-200kms round town, then filling up again and work out how many Litres per 100kms you get, then u'll know roughly how much you get from a tank. rough tank size is 60L i could get specific but there are soo many different tank sizes i cant remember them all. then only travel to 50L worth and u'll always be safe.