Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr power steering

KATSTATS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR STATESMAN
I have just replaced the power steering pump on my VR V6, which has gotten rid of the awful sound, the fluid is new and after a couple of short drives the steering is as heavy as lead with no improvement. Seems like the power steering not working at all. Plenty of fluid in reservoir and no sign of any leaks. Bled the fluid in pump change by going lock to lock. What have I forgotten to do? Its like driving a tractor... thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Might be time to start looking at the rack.

KATSTATS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR STATESMAN
Had the rack replaced four years ago - would it have to be done again already? Sorry, am a novice, learning as I go...

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
im in EXACTLY the same position (rack done about 2.5/3 years ago)

interested to know how it turns out.

KATSTATS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR STATESMAN
Just had the harmonic balancer replaced. Was cracked and now the problem is soled. Thanks!

joely1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 5speed
So you had the harmonic balancer replaced, it was cracked and not driving the belt? or?
Its just i've got the same problem on a vr calais v6 series 2, bought the car with steering heavy as f***, the bloke i bought it from said he had replaced the pump and that didnt fix it so he's selling it, i bought it and took it for a couple drives and it was heavy steering then some days it would randomly go light. I then took it to a mechanic to have it looked at and he said something in the struts were loose, not sure exactly what, so he tightened what ever it was, and the power steering worked fine and was extremely light, after a couple days of driving the steering has gone heavy as again. when the engine is idling and i turn the steering wheel (With struggle) there is no rev change or any load put on the engine what so ever. is this similar to the problem you had? if so i may hav to look into gettin the harmonic balancer checked.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
never heard that one before

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
If the harmonic balancer was not spinning driving the belt then you'd be in far worse trouble than no power steering as you'd have no alternator and no water pump, soon enough flat battery or overheating engine.

If it's not working and theres plenty of fluid and the pump is spinning freely and without noises then either the internal prop in the pump is not making enough pressure to drive the fluid or perhaps there is a blockage in the rack or somewhere in the lines or even a leak. If it's coming and going then sounds like one of these.