Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Problem

HybridAero

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe
looks like no3 is running ok, not a problem as you suggest with that one

illd start with a new set of spark plugs, pretty cheap, $20 or so should get you 6 new plugs

then if this dosent make things much better, look at a new set of spark plug leads around $50

still haveing problems after that? illd check the coilpack, if you know someone with a engine the same thats running well, see if you can borrow there coil pack and fit it to yours and see if theres a differance

coil packs can die, as ive had a few issues with in te past with them

illd say that will cover a good 90% of the issues with a miss

you could try a compresion test after that if still dramas
or could be a blocked injector
do the same as i mentioned with the coilpack, but change the injectors with ones you know are ok

Kovacic_VR95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ CALAIS
ok sweet mate will have a check today and get back to you asap!
also how much would a coil pack cost?

i got told a mechanic suggested when i got RWC which failed due to stalling done that the coil pack has to be replaced but not that bad of a problem he said 500$ with man hours so how much am i looking at?

cheers

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Yeah no.3 is ok, you were looking for no change in idle for a dud cylinder.

As above, you could have dirty plugs.

All cylinders should react the same when you disconnect an injector so you must have a slight problem with the other 5 cylinders.

A loose spark plug lead or a faulty coil could be your problem if the plugs look ok when pulled.

If you are low on cash then pull the plugs first and have a look.

Do you have a mate you can swap out coils, one at a time, to narrow down the problem?

Kovacic_VR95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ CALAIS
oh ok so when the injector is out the engine should have died which means that cylinder is fine ok now i understand haha...
so another words with the other 5 cylinders when i took the injectors out one by one the revs sat there and changed a tiny bit which still means they have problems?

nah i dont but i bawt a pack the other day....

ok so ure saying when one injector is out the engine should stall ok well thats hard haha so another words all the other injectors didnt stall the engine when pulled out which means iv got 5 **** cylinders?

Yea im going to replace all spark plugs and leads today!
I will get back to you asap.

Cheers

pimpmyvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR, with vp motor
if you cant be bothered buy a multimeter ($20) and check the coil packs to see if currenet flows, have you tryed getting a code readout?

theSeekerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II Executive Manual
Hi,

You're misunderstanding the advice slightly.

Consider the way an engine works. If all cylinders are firing correctly, operation is smooth. If one cylinder stops firing, operation gets rougher. If two cylinders stop firing, than operation will get rougher still.

So, if you pull the injector/spark plug from a cylinder and operation gets rougher, you've now got two cylinders not firing - ie. the one you pulled out isn't the problem. On the other hand, if you pull the injector on a cylinder and nothing changes, you've still only got one cylinder not firing - the one you pulled.

If you pull the injector and the engine stalls, that's just a side effect of having made it run rougher by removing one of the GOOD cylinders.

Of course, that assumes that one of the cylinders has stopped firing entirely - it sounds like that's not actually the case, and you may have small faults on several cylinders.

Just clarifying what others have said.

HybridAero

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe
illd put my money on faulty plugs and leads, being the problem atm
as 5 cylinders seem to be a little down on spark

a coil pack should not cost over 100 bux at the wreckers

if they do charge over, shop around

Kovacic_VR95

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ CALAIS
ok well thanks guys for all your help ill play around with the car and new plugs and leads and see how she goes and get back to you asap!

cheers once again

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
brandnew DFI's for under the coils on ebay for $52 bucks right now if anyone is looking

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
VT 5L, WH LS1 Stato (Daily), TDCi Focus, Probe V6
Also one thing to clarify:

Spark Plugs and Injectors are Completely different things.

Spark plugs are located near the Exhaust outlets on your engine, they will have leads going to them from your coil pack.

Injectors are located at the top of the motor all connected by the fuel rail. (injectors do have a trigger lead on them)

I would Not remove either of these while the engine is running, instead just disconnect the lead going to them.

(remembering to disconnect the Spark plug leads at the coil pack end - WITH PLIERS or something else non-conductive, so as to not get shocked)

If after all your testing (and possibly relpacing) of these components you get the same result, that could indicate a bigger issue (as mentioned above, maybe your coil pack, timing issue, etc..)

hope that summation helps

cheers