Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr rattle

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hi guys, i own a vr 3.8l v6 auto and just in the last couple of week i am getting a really bad rattle coming from above or around the gearbox. i am an apprentice and really cant afford to just replace the gearbox i am just wondering if any body has any tips on what it could be. the car is driving fine the gears are not slipping. please any tips would be fantastic thanks..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
(Most likely) It will be a loose torque converter or flex plate or the flex plate cracked, if is just a loose converter you can fix it without too much problems otherwise you will have to take the gearbox out. The good news it will be cheap to fix if you do it yourself and not really that bad if a mechanic does it either since nothing expensive will be actually broken

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Thanks for your help mate but it didnt seem to be any of those i pulled the gearbox completely out. im thinking i might just replace the engine the gearbox seems fine. anyone kknow of anywhere to get a reco engine thats not going to cost $2500