Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr - Rear Main Seal Leaking

Fatboy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

After months of lurking here getting tips (thankyou!), decided to start posting some questions.

I have a leaking rear main seal on my VR comm, yes I know it's a common problem... but it's dropping alot more oil recently.

Does anyone know the round about cost to get it fixed? Or better still, should I not worry about it and accept it as an inevitable sign of my ute aging gracefully?

Thanks for any and all replies.

J

Locksmiff

Reaction score
Because of it being a one piece rear main oil seal . It means your motor doesn't have to come out. If someone tells you that your motor has to come out, to do a one piece oil seal, tell them that I will happily come around and show them how it's done, or you could say to them:

"What your telling me you can't lift the ute up on a hoist, drop the gearbox, remove the old seal and insert another"

The earlier VN's you had to or mor to the point, it saved a lot of screwing around.

I 100% know that you can do it the above way . I have personally done it. I didnt put my oil seal in properly, so I had to do it again, but did it the above way.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
In the book it says that you need a special tool to push the new seal from the back over the crank boss and when the tool is at its limit the seal is centrally located and in the right positon without any damage to the lips of the seal.
What did you use?
You could use a hammer and a bit of pipe but for all the trouble it takes to get to it ,it would be better to do it right the first time.

Mark

Locksmiff

Reaction score
We used the tool the second time around. It was because the first time the motor wasn't in the car, so I couldnt see a need for the tool, which I still can't if the motor is out. It's handy for when the motor is still in the car.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
How did you get the tool? Can you hire it etc.
I was thinking of trying to fix mine but the leak isn't major...just annoying .....is the tool pretty easy to use? I would be doing it with the engine in the car.

Thanks
Mark.