Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Remote Lock Keys

G

grover

Has anyone had trouble with the remote locking keys on a vr.ours work for a couple of days,then stop working for three or four days.they were working this morning but are dead now.do we need new ones.the car is a bit reluctant to crank sometimes as well and i think it is related.any ideas?

R

Rajah

I used to have a VR Berlina Sedan and my wife had a VR berlina Wagon. Both had two keys, one which charges from the car, the other which has a battery. I tried to take my recarge one apart, not knowing I couldn't, and broke it. It cost $50 to replace at Holden. Considering VR's are over 10 years old, it might be worth buying new remotes, you'd hate to be out somewhere and not be able to get into your car.

G

grover

Thanks fella.i did a search here but didnt find any thing related but just did a google search and found some stuff from this sitewhick gave a few good options.probably got no results because i mentioned vr in the search and what i found was about a vs.about $90 over my way per key.can still open the doors manually though.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
When I first got my car I had a problem with the remote key in my vr.Was lucky that when you undo the two screws it came apart.On close inspection found a couple of joints on the printed circuit board broken.
I renewed the battery cleaning the contacts on it and resoldered the dud joints and it hasn't let me down since then.The joints were to do with the clip that attaches the silver knob contact to the ring around the ignition switch and also the battery contact .
If you haven't already try this.
I got a new key head as well so I always had a spare and the head by itself cost about 40 and about the same to cut a new key by holden.
The new one is glued together so they try to make you buy a new one instead of fixing the old one.

G

grover

Thanks markovr.going to tackle it today.will let you know how i go.

G

grover

piss easy,2 new 2025 batteries @$3.70 ea had to bend battery connection down a bit and whacko,2 keys that work.better than $90 per key quoted at the closest holden dealer!!!

A

amshaw

I was going to ask the same thing. Our head's have been pulled apart so many times (once by me ) it's time for new heads. Our Holden dealer said $38ea+ $20 to program both.

My wife's key start's the SS everytime but I need to press the button wait a few seconds then turn key , and then I hope it start's its a real pain in the arse when there's a fire and I need to get to the Fire station quickly, plus her head is stuffed.

By pressing the button does it reset the computer ??

I also found that the range of our remote's is about 3m, is this normal ?

One thing I know is to use a nylon tie to connect the remote head to a key ring (not to tight ) or the bloody thing will snap off if you put the head on a key ring by it self !! I can send a scan if your unsure what Im talking about.

Regards
Andrew

G

grover

yeah,done a bit of research and it seems that the remote has to be used now and then to send the signal to the immobiliser.you will probably notice when it doesnt want to crank that the led for the immobiliser is still flashing.

holdenlover

Reaction score
That's right Grover.

Using the remote function of the key will turn off the immobiliser for 20 - 30 seconds.

Andrew, 3m is about right.
I think the problem you may have is the silver knob on your key is not making clean contact with the silver rings around your ignition. Have a look to make sure they are connecting.
Or the components inside the key are damaged and instead of the key completing the circuit (as mentioned above) you have to use the remote to disable the immobiliser and start the car within 30 secs.
Basically what Mark said earlier.
QUOTE On close inspection found a couple of joints on the printed circuit board broken.The joints were to do with the clip that attaches the silver knob contact to the ring around the ignition switch

Mick

A

amshaw

OK thanks for all that guy's . I had a play with it today and what you say is right. The small metal dome bit in the head that touch's the metal ring is down a bit so how do I pull it up to the right level ?

It is to small and soft to get pliers on it and pull, and the shape of it makes it very hard , any idea's please ??

Keep in mind that my head has been pulled apart and glued back together.

Regards & Thanks
Andrew