Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
At some point maybe early next year I will be popping the ute on the dyno, once I finish the performance upgrades. It's not for tuning but rather to get an accurate figure on RWHP, for $150 why not. I'll post up the figures. If I can afford a second run and some workshop time I will take a run without the BM just to compare.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Can cam a buick for under 400 bucks

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Baby cam stock lift with a valve job to stay withen racing class rules good torquey street engine madness on dirt lol
20190306_022601.png

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes but it is more complicated to fit one and time consuming that needs more skill and requires some expertise. Plus taking all the timing cover off etc requires special tools. I have some skill but wouldn't attempt a cam. So it would be over $1000 for someone who can not do it themselves.

Last edited:

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
What CAI do you have? Some are better than others is all. If you don't have extractors a set of Pacemakers would be the next thing to fit. You can often find them SH. Quick bead blast and some flame proof paint and you're laughing.

I have some custom made extractors, only issue is it needs to be bent as on side it melted through my steering rack, so I'm gonna leave them of intel I get on my Ps, also I have the wide one, not the ss one just the normal cold air intake with a K&N filter

Adrian's Vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore manual
ill do more on my Ps

Last edited:

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cheaper than headers and a awesome power increase for the price.

Only if you can fit it yourself. I paid $150 for my Pacies plus $20 for paint and a few $ for gaskets. Obviously not gonna get the gains a cam will but at least headers are reasonably easy to fit. IMHO Pacies are just one of those things you fit regardless of what other improvements you have. Bit more involved in the tune too when fitting a cam. Most mail order ones would not be quite right.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@delcowizzid I can't clearly see the dyno graph but are you saying that on a stock engine that has done 200k there are torque gains of 100nm simply by adding a mild cam and doing nothing else? What revs is the dip in the torque curve I can't read it unfortunately? Plus wouldn't the gains of a cam be mainly around 4k? Although the curve does seem to be upwards fairly steeply from what ever revs the dip is

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The problem with the stock Buick motors was the instant torque on throttle application and it was all over by about 4500rpm. With a cam you move the torque/power band up the rpm range which almost makes it more user friendly.

My old VN would light up the tyres with anywhere from 1500-2000rpm and been aggressive with the clutch and that was with a good LSD and 17" Bridgestone potenza tyres on it.

By the VR models they really had tamed them down a lot. More power but less punchy for sure.