Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Rotor Change

VH Vacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V6
Just about to change some front rotors on a VR for after market (Taipan) units....have Gregory's in hand....any traps for young players.?? ;)

Last edited:

dmitch

DonkeySS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
just did a VS only prob had was the needed abit of force 2 get them off so tap with a rubber mallet and pull... then when putting back together dont hit them on let the wheel nuts pull it in tight.. pretty easy. good luck

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Also remember to not let the brake caliper hang by the brake house, easiest way is to use an old coat hanger and attach it to the spring, out of the way. Also remember to use some loctite or similar on the brake caliper bolts when you put them back together.

Also helps if you get some brake cleaner and give the new discs a good going over, just to remove any crap that might be on there from manufacture. As previously mentioned, the old rotors will most likely be difficult to get off, so use a mallet, and don't be afraid to give them a good belt.

Probably a good idea to put new pads in at the same time too, and remember that both pads and discs will need bedding in, so go for a decent drive and wear everything in.

I recently replaced the fronts on my VS with DBA slotted rotors and Bendix ultimate pads.... and have never looked back. I know that they chew the discs a bit more and are a bit more dusty, but it has made a huge improvement to the way the car brakes.

VH Vacationer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V6
Thanks

Harvs82 said:
Also remember to not let the brake caliper hang by the brake house, easiest way is to use an old coat hanger and attach it to the spring, out of the way. Also remember to use some loctite or similar on the brake caliper bolts when you put them back together.

Also helps if you get some brake cleaner and give the new discs a good going over, just to remove any crap that might be on there from manufacture. As previously mentioned, the old rotors will most likely be difficult to get off, so use a mallet, and don't be afraid to give them a good belt.

Probably a good idea to put new pads in at the same time too, and remember that both pads and discs will need bedding in, so go for a decent drive and wear everything in.

I recently replaced the fronts on my VS with DBA slotted rotors and Bendix ultimate pads.... and have never looked back. I know that they chew the discs a bit more and are a bit more dusty, but it has made a huge improvement to the way the car brakes.

Spot on advice Harvs...belt the old rotors we had to do...rusted on!! A combination of a decent BFH with blows all around the hub and the back of the old rotor eventually persuaded them to move. A little emery paper to lightly clean up the surfaces and a thin smear of copper grease should make it easier next time.

A G Cramp is also needed to compress the piston so that you can fit the anti-squeal backing and the new pads. Took as about 3/4 of an hour per side.

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
I recently upgraded my VS wagon to DBA drilled and slotted with bedix advanced pads.
Don't forget to whack some high temp grease on the slides.
i forgot and my rear one siezed and turned the new rotor blue.
had to take it off clean it up and grease all my slides just to make sure they were all good. (make sure the boots are back on properly)
would have been a hell of a lot easier if i had done this when fitting them.

Keep an eye on your fluid level when pushing the piston back aswell. I used a big fat medical syringe that we used to have to use when the missus cat got sick. perfect for sucking out the excess fluid. easier than using a spoon to scoop it out. Hopefully the cat wont be needing a shot with it soon LOL