Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR running rough when warmed up

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
but i remember seeing around 14.7v with highbeams on and idling....
you sure thats right? 14.7v is way to high especially if under load..Id be looking at the power reg on the alt....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah 14.7; without anything on it should sit at 14.4-14.6V. Do have a decent multi meter?

PHMaximus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1 V6
Oh i forgot to update this.......

I decided to take the coils of and check the primary and secondary coils and yes they tested ok and everything checked out.... but I did notice there was some sticky stuff on the terminals, and a tiny bit of corrosion on the DFI connector and slight exhaust leak from the left header....

I used a tiny wire brush to clean up all the contacts and terminals on the DFI module and nipped up the header bolts....

its back to running like a dream :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks for giving us the update. It will help others experiencing a similar prob.

PHMaximus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1 V6
Nope.... its still there... It was running fine, so i registered it and topped up the fluids and now its back to doing the same thing....

I don't think it likes been registered???? lol

anyways... at least i can test drive it now with out sketching out, so looks like its back to the drawing board.

(on a side note... since been in storage a possum or something made a nest under the brake booster...... and man,,, what a nightmare... it was sooo hard to clean out, it was sooo tightly packed a highpresser washer dident move it... i had to slow fish out all the crud by hand and now..... and stinks like rodent poo under the bonnet.... yay for me... i have a car that stinks like *&%*&

PHMaximus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1 V6
forgot to mention, ive since pressure washed the engine another 2 times with a citrus based degreaser and it still stinks...... my only other though is to disinfect it???

because yeah, now its registered i might have the motivation to work on it, but smelling how it does kinda take the fun out

PHMaximus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1 V6
anyways... ive matched up the vacuum lines with some new hose from supercheap and today im gonna replace anything suspect. I also got some throttlebody cleaner to clean the throttlebody and im gonna pop out IAC valve off and check it out (not seized with serviceable o ring) then do a butane leak test around the throttle body, adapter, manifold and vacuum lines(with iac disconnected).....

WISH ME LUCK!!!! lol

PHMaximus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1 V6
for anyone experiencing the same problem... here is a Awesome guide from youtube on how to test the coil packs. (IMO, its a easy test and worth been one of the first things u check, unfortunately mine tested with-in specs :(

PHMaximus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1 V6
update, the sun is up, and ive replaced a few of the hoses and YAY, the vacuum tank is holding vacuum, so thats ruled out any issues with the tank, lines, check valve and heater controls.

just having a coffee before checking the IAC valve...