Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr s2 only clicks instead of turning over. Starter

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series2 executive wagon
FIRST POST,, My vr s2 , 6 cyl Has been turning over more slowly & i thought the battery must be on the way out , but after last night it only makes a single click sound unless you try 10 times and hold the key for ten seconds. Changed the battery last night & is still doing the same thing even when hooked up to both batteries. Changed the starter motor in our vn ,once, ( now retired to the front lawn :undead: ) it was a heck of a job sqeezing the starter in. Wont be long & this one wont start at all. If anyone can offer some tips on were to start looking for the problem , if the vr 6 has the same starter motor as the vn 6 and maybe :bow: an easier way to fit the starter in. That would be great Thanks heaps !

Last edited:

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
Or just the first place to start looking after the battery, terminals and the key is fine . Thanks .

Last edited:

mx kid

5th pinned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII CLUBSPORT
im assuming its auto?

definitely sounds like starter motor. the alternator shouldnt be an isuue if you put a brand new battery in it. and if its slowly died then i starter motor sounds like the problem

it should be the same starter motor... dont think it changed from VN to the VR/VS

had a look around for a diagram for u but no luck. try searching the forums for a diagram or get ur hands on manual if ya get lost doing it. should be easy just to bolt on exactly the way u took it off tho.

good luck mate :)

paytons_dady

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp ssv 5 speed ,vs aclaim
check the coil pack dude hapend to mi mates vr today

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Its not the starter motor. Its the solenoid that connects to Starter Motor. Replace that and she will be good as gold. Its the excat same thing as what was happening with my Dads Kia Pregio Van.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You can check if it is the solenoid by turning the headlights on and then try to start the car - is the starter clicks and the headlights go real dim it will be either the starter motor or the battery but if the starter clicks and the headlights do not dim it will be the solenoid as Mumboman suggests.

TBrian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
just check to see if the push on soleniod wire on the starter solenoid is a snug fit.mine was clicking at first start in the morning.I found this push on terminal to be loose.Changed that and now as good as gold.worth a try before you do anything else

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
check the coil pack dude hapend to mi mates vr today

:bang:

A failing ignition component won't stop an engine from cranking.

I still reckon its a failed battery as hako suggested, considering the starter speed has got slower and slower over the last few starts as you said, which is consistent with a dying battery...

Steve Ashton

Proud Commodore Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
SORRY LOST MY OTHER REPLY, TIMED OUT .

Thanks to "all", for your advice ! This time, Mumboman was spot on and it was the wire to the solenoid. The lack of a spring washer and a little to much oil, caused the problem.( I had never had things slowly deteriate like that before, with the problem being a loose connection. Should have been the charge in the battery, but the indicators where working perfectly with the high beam & brake lights on.)

The problem REALY started when i tried to take the soleniod nut OFF. The thead was KNACKERD and the bolt snapped out of the solenoid. The good news is that ""the solenoid is the only part of the starter motor on the VN that is interchangable with the VR"" (that i could use anyway) . I think the SM changed for the VP. The SM is bigger in the VN , has different posititioning and is held on by three bolts & not two as in the VR.

All up and running just like a champion !! Thanks again :thumbsup:

Last edited: