Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Senator Brakes

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Would VR Senator (330mm) brakes be a straight bolt up to an exec? Would there need to be different brake lines made up? Anything that would be needed to be modified or changed to fit them? Any info/pics would be a great help.

Thanks
Nick

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
fairly simple but impressive mod, i have recently done this :)

yes they bolt up to the standard mounts, as long as it has the bracket which it should.

i got new hoses and made em 50mm longer, should have gone 150mm longer than standard. coz i cant lock em in to the slot on the strut bracket, just that lil bit too small on full lock.

NOTE: it has left and right on the calipers, ignore em, jus make sure the bleeders are on top.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
fairly simple but impressive mod, i have recently done this :)

yes they bolt up to the standard mounts, as long as it has the bracket which it should.

i got new hoses and made em 50mm longer, should have gone 150mm longer than standard. coz i cant lock em in to the slot on the strut bracket, just that lil bit too small on full lock.

NOTE: it has left and right on the calipers, ignore em, jus make sure the bleeders are on top.

Great info, thanks for that. Positive rep for you. Do I need to get the bracket from the Senator? Can the standard lines be used or is it recommended to lengthen them.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Would VR Senator (330mm) brakes be a straight bolt up to an exec? Would there need to be different brake lines made up? Anything that would be needed to be modified or changed to fit them? Any info/pics would be a great help.

Thanks
Nick
Nick,

If you want 330 brakes, probably go with the VE twin pot conversion kit. Those pads on the VR senator (DB1353) are becoming rarer and rarer...

A full RDA kit, with calipers, 322mm slotted rotors, pads, fluid, lines etc is $895.

Have a look at:
http://www.rdabrakes.com.au/images/stories/holden_brake_kits_web.jpg

Regards,
Greg

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I can get the senator calipers and rotors (secondhand) for $250 posted. This is why I am considering it. And we sell a whole range of bendix pads at work and have those in stock. The rotors are one thing that are pricey too. I have looked at those kits too though. Thanks for the info, positive rep for you.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Yeah, I know Bendix still do the full range because some of the cup cars still run those Corvette C4 calipers, but on a whole, in years to come, there won't be too much support for them. At the moment you can still get Bendix, Remsa, EBC, TRW, I've even got QFM A1RM (Bendix SRT or Ferodo DS2500 equivalent) on the shelf, but as you say the rotors are expensive, and in years to come it won't be a particularly well supported application.

Certainly if you don't intend on keeping the car for too much longer then it'll be a worthwhile upgrade for the dollars! ;)

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Well thats the thing, don't know how much further I wanna go with the car and how long I'll keep it. I'd like to think that I'll keep it for a while still but I still don't know. Thanks for your help so far.

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
i really dont think getting pads will be a problem at any time

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
that bracket should come with the brakes, its the only way of mounting them on to the existing mounts.

i'll see if i can find a pic :)

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
i really dont think getting pads will be a problem at any time
At a reasonable price it will be... EBC Greens for that application are already well over $200, and Red's are closer to the $300 mark.

Sad fact of supply and demand. Those pads came on bugger all cars in this Country, C4 Corvette, early HSV, and limited amount of Tickford. All you'd have to do is replace the pads twice and the rotors once and you'd almost be broken even on a VE twin pot of C5 Corvette upgrade.

I'm not arguing you won't be able to get pads, above I just rattled off 5 brands who currently do, and will probably continue to, but EBC and Bendix in particularly, will be at a price...