Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

New Posts Contact us

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR series 2 3.8L supercharger options ?

syndosis

New Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Members Ride
VR 94 Commodore
Hello all.
Still looking around at Supercharger ideas.
I see many on Ebay and a few nice Eaton m90s go for reasonable money or what appears to be reasonable.

Firstly is an Eaton M90 gonna do the job for my VR series 2 3.8L or is it too little or two much. I am not worried too much about starting say 5psi till I get the engine fully toughened up ( gonna get spare engine or spare car, as my cars paint job is really gone ) for higher psi.

Secondly I see that our engines are Buick 3.8s so have been seeing what is around in the USA as far as superchargers for them go.
Please give me your opinions on this link. Not even sure if it will do the job or bolt on even, just let me know.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supe...tegoryZ33741QQihZ006QQitemZ160025527475QQrdZ1

Thanks for your help. Probably in the end just save up for full kit from some Aus factory but to buy one piece at a time could be a good way to get to the final stage of having all I need.

Cheers in advance for your comments
 

TheForgotten

only human......
Joined
Dec 24, 2005
Messages
1,372
Reaction score
16
Points
0
Location
quarantine
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
syndosis said:
Firstly is an Eaton M90 gonna do the job for my VR series 2 3.8L or is it too little or two much.
I'tll work fine even with factory 6PSI boost, but you'll have to custom make a manifold for it
syndosis said:
I am not worried too much about starting say 5psi till I get the engine fully toughened up ( gonna get spare engine or spare car, as my cars paint job is really gone ) for higher psi.
Always a good thing to toughen up your internals. CAPA sell forged pistons and rods, but they're $$$. another oprion is to source Buick GN turbo pistons/rods. suburban imports in sydney had some at one point, give them a try
syndosis said:
Secondly I see that our engines are Buick 3.8s so have been seeing what is around in the USA as far as superchargers for them go.
Please give me your opinions on this link. Not even sure if it will do the job or bolt on even, just let me know.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Supe...tegoryZ33741QQihZ006QQitemZ160025527475QQrdZ1
that's all well and good, but yo umust remember that our engines are not an exact replica of the US engnines, so some parts will not fit
syndosis said:
Thanks for your help. Probably in the end just save up for full kit from some Aus factory but to buy one piece at a time could be a good way to get to the final stage of having all I need.

Cheers in advance for your comments
when you're building the boostable engine, buying parts is the only way I know of, I don't know any companies that supply kits except for COME's boostable stroker. when buying the supercharger, buy it in kit form. there may still be parts you'll need to buy separately, but kits will save you $
 

syndosis

New Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Members Ride
VR 94 Commodore
Ok then. Thanks.
Do you know off hand what parts are the same from our engines to the US Buick 3.8l engines ? Or a particular US engine that was mostly the same ?
Anyone else with advice / opinions ?

Cheers
 

TheForgotten

only human......
Joined
Dec 24, 2005
Messages
1,372
Reaction score
16
Points
0
Location
quarantine
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
nah sorry, I know stuff all about yank engines, except they had rear mounts and they sat east-west in some cars
 

semi

GOD
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
902
Reaction score
7
Points
0
Age
33
Location
WA
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
Ive heard plenty of stuff about people buying buick turbo rods and pistons from the states, i think the crank might fit too
 

syndosis

New Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Members Ride
VR 94 Commodore
ok cheers for that. I will keep hunting for options.
Can get chrome valve covers from Us for around $160 delivered but off a Buick 3.8l so just wanted to know if it would fit. The yank seller doesn't know the Aus engines though to compare.

Anyone here got a good place to buy chrome rocker covers for a VR V6 ? Read I think on this forum that VN were the best and just get them dipped as the others after that tended to be plastic ?

Ideas and prices. I am in Adelaide...
cheers guys for your help
 
Top