Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr series 2 gearboxes

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6
hi guys i just wanted to know what other model commodores have the same gearboxes an year of that model my vr keeps smahing boxes two this year an they are gettin hard to find please help an any mod ideas for box to plaese, i got tricked into buyin vt box sayin they would fit so im lost

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
auto or manual? what's going wrong with them? were they fully rebuild to handle what your throwing at them?

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6
auto v6 vr s2 my bad first one i bought was pretty ok for 2 months just a second hander an now i cant find any so any ideas cheaper one for now prefedibly going on holidays soon an need my ride not to kill my holiday funding.

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
Witch state are you from?
if your from Melbourne go to Jollys U Pull it in Dandenong yer you will have to take it out your self but alot of the motors have already been taken out so wouldnt take much and there only (Auto Trans 6 & 8 Cyl (4 Speed) $ 126.00) or with warranty $ 164 hope that helps

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6
i just wanna know what other boxes auto fit vr series 2

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
VR 1994 - 4HDD first electonically controlled auto.
VR II 1995 - 5HDD extra solenoid fitted to provide softer "LOCK UP" torque converter clutch apply.
VS 1996 - 6HDD the design of the previously added solenoid was changed and is not backwards compatible with the previous model.
VS II 1997-7HDD basically the same as the 1996 unit except the thread size of the cooler pipe unions was enlarged.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Also I think the VR boxes have a 12 pin electrical connector and and VS boxes 13. Many people have VS boxes in VR's just not sure what they did with the extra pin I think without it the torque converter doesn't lockup.

But I could be very wrong

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
I think vr series 1 is the only one with 12 pins,the extra pin is for the tcc solenoid.the only real difference between the 4hdd to 7hdd that i know of is the the tcc solenoid, tcc valve(or iso-conv valve),speed sensor\housing and maybe the 3-2 shift valve.They all should fit with the right mods.I got told countless of times from wreckers i only could fit a 4hdd to my vr(ended up rebuilding the box)But when the gearbox blew up in the parents vr i end up fitting a 6hdd with minor mods.

Lindsay007

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore
I think vr series 1 is the only one with 12 pins,the extra pin is for the tcc solenoid.the only real difference between the 4hdd to 7hdd that i know of is the the tcc solenoid, tcc valve(or iso-conv valve),speed sensor\housing and maybe the 3-2 shift valve.They all should fit with the right mods.I got told countless of times from wreckers i only could fit a 4hdd to my vr(ended up rebuilding the box)But when the gearbox blew up in the parents vr i end up fitting a 6hdd with minor mods.
What minor mods did you have to do ?