Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR SII Shutters on accel?

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Hey Guys

The other day i went down to Sydney and while on the free way the car was fine so I went to over take a car and gave it some acceleration then the back of the car started to shutter until I backed off, so for some reason I then put it into power mode and it took off fine and didn't shutter.

While driving locally it shifts fine only seems to do this in top gear under mid-heavy acceleration in economy mode, the car has abs and IRS if that makes any difference.

What could cause this?

Any help would be appreciated

Regards Shane

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Thanks for your help, I don't think its plugs or leads as the car has never missed a beat and never hesitated, It kinda sounded more from the tail shaft or diff area however we checked unis today the tail shaft was rock solid with no play at all.

stated vr v6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman
I had this problem but the shuddering came more from the gear box (how long since you have given the auto a service) anyhow put in a new filter and fluid and all was well.

BlackBeast

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 Wh Statesman
Flywheel

could be the flywheel a little whight on the flywheel could have come off and be causeing the shuttering or even the drive shaft

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd still check them and replace if old - at cruise the fuel mixture is very very lean (for economy) and if the spark is not 100% it may not fire the mixture resulting in a miss or two which you may not notice. Switching to power mode only delays the change points of the auto.
I'd check the simple cheap items first - if it is a faulty TCC the replacement can cost big dollars. Also check those codes...it's very easy and may indicate the fault.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Thanks for the input, the car isn't on gas I seen somewhere that someone had a problem similar but between 2nd and 3rd it ended up being solenoids.

My dad was in the back of the car while it happened and said it felt like it was from the tail shaft diff area, maybe diff yoke?, I have had the car 8 Months and never serviced the auto, there is noise at the rear which is made by tires so i was told which is a humming , I don't think its diff other wise it would prob shutter through all gears and under any type of accel.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Can you describe "shutter" to an old bloke like me....please.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
it felt as if the rear of the car was shaking and that the wheels were moving but the car wasn't going anywhere fast until i backed off and put it into power mode