Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Speed Sensor Wiring

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5 Speed Wagon & VS Auto Wagon & 98 VS Statesman
Hi All
I've just done a conversion on a V6 Vr Wagon from an auto to a 5 speed. I am still using the auto wiring harness and am installing a electronic ratio box to fix the speedo problem but i have run into a little problem, every wiring diagram that i see does not give me the colour coding for the wires on the speedo sensor, ie purple is input hall effect unit or the 2 plug wiring on the car harness, I have changed the memcal to a manual chip which is working great just got to fix this speedo problem. Any help appreciated

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi All
I got it all worked out and it is easy to wire up your speedo using the auto harness. Let me know if you require this info
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

MBS206

Reaction score
I have an issue,

I have a VP S2 gearbox manual in my VR now, and the speed sensor on it, is 3 wire, but the VR speed sensor (auto) is only a 2 wire...

Need to set this thing up... But don't know what wire does what.

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok here is how your wire it up. the 3 wires on the speed sensor are
white/blue wire up to earth
purple/white extend the wire up to behind your glovebox where ontop of the ecu there is a white plug, joint this wire into the purple/white going to the speedo, if you cut and join it on the wrong side it wont work. the last wire on the speed sensor i think from memory is pink/blue this gets wired up to 12 accessory power. this should fix your probl;em if it doesnt let me know and i'll double check it on my car

mako86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vivid Blue pearl VR, pulsar thrasher
hay mate just wonderin if these wires would be the same with the ecotecs

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
i am no sure i have a vs ecotec but i haven't checked it, i would say that they would be though

MBS206

Reaction score
mal:

Followed your advice, and I had no luck...
I'm not sure though if it might be I chose a dodgy point to pull 12volt from... :S

BUT, on the ECU side of things, did the wire from the sensor just join up to the wire under the dash (So it had a 3 way intersection) or did I have to cut the wire in half and solder it to the dash board side, or did I have to cut it in half and solder it to the ECU side of things?

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
First of, it dont make it a 3 way intersection, i hate cutting wires so i just removed that wire from the plug ( purple/white) and connected straight onto the end of it, connect it to the dash side of it, if you are not getting a good power source it will not work, i ran a earth & power from under the dash to the sensor to ensure that i had a good source, what you are doing by wiring it this way is giving the sensor its own power, earth and square wave output, and the commodore speedo's will work on square wave output. Wiring it this way works good and the speedo does not need to be re calibrated again

MBS206

Reaction score
Well, I have found another problem...

The speedo works fine how I wired it on one condition... I drive with no headlights!!!

Time to run some power from the radio wire I think...

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
ummm why do you drive with no headlights now:whistling :whistling :whistling ?