Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Speed Sensor Wiring

mako86

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vivid Blue pearl VR, pulsar thrasher
yea hav just been playin all night and the colour wires that you's have said r the same as in my mechanics book but there not in the auto loom and we looked at another vs auto and it is the same so if any1 has any idea on wat colour the reverse and speedo wires are in a vs auto loom please let me kno asap

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5 Speed Wagon & VS Auto Wagon & 98 VS Statesman
in the vs auto loom u will not find any speed sensor wires for the manual transmission you need to bypass and wire up as i said previously ( other side of ecu) and it should work ( i ran my 12 volt accessories from the ignition) as for the reverse lights you should be able to use that diagrahm that i sent you regardless of what colour wires they are and it should work

MBS206

Reaction score
mal: I re did all the cables, including running the signal cable up to the actual speedo itself, and still no go.
Headlights on = no speedo!

I'm thinking it's the actual cluster!

MBS206

Reaction score
pink with a blue stripe = 12V positive from ECU.
Use that for your power to the reverse lights.

When you open the actual console up, there's a black "switch" that sits on the gear lever (And once unscrewed can float around)
The green wire on it's own, is the reverse earth.
So take the power from the pink/blue stripe wire on there, and run it to one side of the reverse switch.
And the other side wire up to the green cable.

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok this is the wiring that i did and how i did it for the speed sensor. I ran 2 core wire from the ignition for the power did a separate earth from around that area. the pruple/white wire, i removed that wire from the white plug from behind the glovebox ( make sure that this is on the speedo side of the ecu) so this wire is completely disconnected from the ecu and joined the purple/white wire from the speed sensor to the end of it.

Reverse lights
Remove the black switch from the plug, this is the plug that you need to wire up for your reversing lights and to bypass the neutralising switch. This is the wiring for it. the grey & the blue/grey wires need to be shorted out together this disengages the neutral switch for the auto. the other 2 wires pink/blue and the green entend these down to the gearbox and hook these us to the reversing switch and your reversing lights should work.

if need be you can give me a ring on 0409 879067

Cheers Mal

White/blue.......... Earth
Pink/blue.............12 volt accessories
Purple/white......to speedo side of ECU

Bud

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Shagmobile
Why have you disconnected it from the ECU? I have done the T5 conversion to my VS Ecotec and it all works with the manual computer though it's spitting out an error saying it can't see the speed sensor (because I disconnected it like you said). Should I connect it back up to the computer? Thanks

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
because the manual & auto speed sensors are different and the ecu is not picking up anything from the auto speed sensor , what your are infact doing is bypassing the vss on the ecu direct to the speedo, i have spoken to the guy that done my chip for me and we are trying to work this bug out of it, wil let you know when we have a solution to the problem

Bud

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Shagmobile
mal62 said:
because the manual & auto speed sensors are different and the ecu is not picking up anything from the auto speed sensor , what your are infact doing is bypassing the vss on the ecu direct to the speedo, i have spoken to the guy that done my chip for me and we are trying to work this bug out of it, wil let you know when we have a solution to the problem

I thought so. I have a hunch that the manual speed sensor and the auto speed sensor attach to the ECU with different pins. We just need to find out which pin the manual chip is looking for the input on. I have just bought a workshop manual on eBay that has the electrical diagrams in it so hopefully it should be obvious and easy to fix. I'll let you know if I figure it out before you do. Did you say earlier that you have a VR? :)

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes i have a 94 Vr V6 Wagon that i converted over from auto to manual and the wife has a VS V6 wagon that i want to convert as well but she won't let me near it cause she wants to keep it as an auto :( , but sooner or later she has to go out for awhile and you never know what could happen in that time :yeah: . i know there are other issues with the speed sensor and the ECU. The guy that i was talking to about this issue said that square wave pickup pulse etc from the VSS and the ECU is really the problem its not just a wiring problem as such