Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR SS no go...

O

oldn64

Hello all,

I own a VR SS series 2 manual. The car has been great and last month it had a small issue. When driving home the car hesitated and coughed etc and generally made the driving very painful. It got so bad that the car idled erratically and also did not rev between 1000 and 2000 but did go like a rocket after this "gap". Finally after driving the 26km home it died in my driveway and for the first time I gave the car to someone else to fix. They have had the car a month and they replaced the coil in this time, and the car still has no spark. They have now lost interest and have delivered the car back to me with a invoice for the new coil. Upon inspection I fear they have wired the coil wrong. In all my diagram I have in my manuals I cannot find what the wires should be. This is the combination at present.

+ve terminal has a red wire (spade connector) and a black wire (ring terminal)
-ve terminal has a brown wire with a boot (ring terminal)

I suggest that this is wrong and that the black wire should actually be on the -ve wire... can some one with a vr v8 stick there head under the bonnet and tell me what wires go where. the +ve terminal is the one furthest away from you (ie closest to the ground) Much appreciated

Cheers

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
oldn64 said:
Hello all,

I own a VR SS series 2 manual. The car has been great and last month it had a small issue. When driving home the car hesitated and coughed etc and generally made the driving very painful. It got so bad that the car idled erratically and also did not rev between 1000 and 2000 but did go like a rocket after this "gap". Finally after driving the 26km home it died in my driveway and for the first time I gave the car to someone else to fix. They have had the car a month and they replaced the coil in this time, and the car still has no spark. They have now lost interest and have delivered the car back to me with a invoice for the new coil. Upon inspection I fear they have wired the coil wrong. In all my diagram I have in my manuals I cannot find what the wires should be. This is the combination at present.

+ve terminal has a red wire (spade connector) and a black wire (ring terminal)
-ve terminal has a brown wire with a boot (ring terminal)

I suggest that this is wrong and that the black wire should actually be on the -ve wire... can some one with a vr v8 stick there head under the bonnet and tell me what wires go where. the +ve terminal is the one furthest away from you (ie closest to the ground) Much appreciated

Cheers

mate
get it to ya dealer or an auto sparkie....
my VR died about 6 months ago....same symptoms as yours...and the diagnosis was the coil..I got my dealer to replace it (the car was towed there)
but the original coil is NLA...but there is a service replacement
from Holdens but it needs rewiring of the connections...
my dealer fitted the coil and did the re-wiring....all is good now....