Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr ss overheating

Sslife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ss
I've got a problem with my vr ss no mater what I'm driving like it overheats within 20-30 minutes goes all the way to hot it's got a new water pump the thermostat is fine and I've just flushed and put new coolent in any idea why it would be over heating?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Whan you say over heating, is the temp gauge going thru the roof or is it actually spweing coolant?
IMO I have found a lot of newer caps on the market do not seat correctly, allowing the engine to boil.
Cap should seat tight on the neck, sometimes i get away with crimping the tongues tighter on the cap with pliers.

Sslife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ss
Whan you say over heating, is the temp gauge going thru the roof or is it actually spweing coolant?
IMO I have found a lot of newer caps on the market do not seat correctly, allowing the engine to boil.
Cap should seat tight on the neck, sometimes i get away with crimping the tongues tighter on the cap with pliers.
Like it would go all the way up to red but I've only ever let it get 2 lines away from it and I can move the cap up and down a little bit so tomorrow I'll try a new cap and see how that goes

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
FWIW I tried everything on a VS I had, turned out to be the radiator, seemed to flush ok but on really hot days, with the a/c on it would overheat, new radiator and never looked back.
They don't last forever.

Sslife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ss
FWIW I tried everything on a VS I had, turned out to be the radiator, seemed to flush ok but on really hot days, with the a/c on it would overheat, new radiator and never looked back.
They don't last forever.
Yeah I know that but it's even over heating when it's 10 degrees out side I'll get a new radiator and try that to cheers

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
First thing double check thermostat, second check any leaks, including head gasket... both cost nothing but yeah, if the rad is old you could do with a new one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hopefully it's not but it is sounding like it might be a head gasket. :( Are you often topping up the coolant?

Sslife

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ss
First thing double check thermostat, second check any leaks, including head gasket... both cost nothing but yeah, if the rad is old you could do with a new one.
Yeah well I've found a little leak in one of the heater hoses I'll fix that this arvo and see how I go and check thermostat at the same time

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
If you run it cold in the driveway, with the cap off, does it spew coolant out or does it slowly heat up and coolant rises out as the thermostat opens?