Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR SS STUCK IN drive no reverse

muffman001

Reaction score
Website
nfateam.informe.com
Members Ride
VL Berlina soon to be turbo'd
hi there my mate has just brought a vr 1994 ss commodore v8 auto
and know when u start the car in neutral it drives forward in all other gears but there is no reverse at all
the irs kicks in and the car just revs (dose not go backwards) we have checked the linkage bar / selecter it is not bent or any bolts missing what could the problam be?? any idears on how to fix would be appreaited

also if anyone knows of a cheap v8 manual gearbox 5 or six speed please let me know or even a new/rebuilt transmission
thanks

K

Konker

try replacing the automatic computer. sometimes they get hot or wet and "lock out" just means they know what they are meant to be doing but will only do half the job ie you select rev. it goes ok out of gear check revs. but may not sync the next gear of let go of input shaft etc. replace and see if that helps.

just a fun story: there was a car at the auctions that my mate liked and he draged me along to look at it. anyway you cant test drive untill theres less than 2 hours to the auction. anyway 2nd in line for the keys we finnally jump in it and it wont move. other people jump in and same story. with a car that wont go there werent any bids on it and i thought **** it we can fix this. he paid 3 grand for the gto 94 blah blah and we towed it home. looked under bonnet and after running around for three days with a volt meter found auto was poked. new computer from a wrecker ($80) and off it went. sold it 2 years later for 13 big ones.

moral: haha to japas and dont always assume the worst

Mickey Maj

VLT RB30DET
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hey Dude, my bro had exactly the same prob with his VR. We're pretty sure the problem is internally in the gearbox as we tried a different computer and made no differece.This problem is caused from donig Reversety Firsties, this puts a great deal of strain the auto and will possibly require the auto to be fully rebuilt. We corrected the problem with a 5 speed conversion.