Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR SS Work in Progress

BecStar

Kickstart My Heart...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Clubsport R8 - Vespers Blue
(sorry if this post is in the wrong place lol)

So I've just written down all the things that need to be done to my VR to make her at least roadworthy, oh where oh where do I start?!

Lets start with a new alternator, fan belt, powersteering belt (?), air-con fix (don't know what's wrong with it atm), new exhaust system (I already have a brand new set of Genie extractors, just need the rest of it), new floor carpet, boot lining, odometer fix AND the dash around the speedo facia and aircon vents (it's got an ugly dvd player where the aircon vents should be)

Where the hell do I look for boot lining?... it's just bare metal in there right now, is that unroadworthy? I've had a squiz on eBay and there's a mob called All Car Carpet, boot carpet for $129+postage... is that an alright price? The same mob does floor carpet for $130+postage too.

My long term plans for my car are to eventually get it repainted, although I'll be on a bit of a budget so I might test out this famous paint-roller theory hey! And I'll eventually get a decent set of mags too.

I'll hopefully keep this thread updated as I go with pics etc, just so I don't make a new thread everytime something comes up.

xx Take care everyone

*edited*

Here's some pics of the car from today, and also of the handy work that got her in that position lol

l_65a892d0df4a473ea99e1bf3a4728665.jpg

l_cfa2528546cc4d39a3f39b634df72b38.jpg

l_a8c66365c005438b8b39b93618ba4e15.jpg

l_4a5e20e64ecc40c4841c538a7d704f4c.jpg

l_6eab8ca4b87d420884bf0a93d079a4b8.jpg

Last edited:

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
You might get a hold of the boot lining at a wrecker yard. Only problem with that is most yards just have the cars sitting out in the weather and it might have gotten wet but it would be worth a phone call anyway.

BecStar

Kickstart My Heart...
Reaction score
Members Ride

BecStar

Kickstart My Heart...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I'm new here so I wasn't sure where it was supposed to go.... oh well whoever has the power to swap it into another section GO FOR IT!

I'm off to give the big beast a good clean out today, just so I've got a half decent canvas to work with.

BecStar

Kickstart My Heart...
Reaction score
Members Ride
So the beast is nice and clean :-D... we took her camping a few months ago and then she went off the road and we accidentally left a water bottle/bladder on the floor in the back and it started leaking... MOULDY MOULD MOULD! Luckily we're getting new carpet anyway and hopefully new seats.. I cleaned it as best as I could lol.. love orange power!

So the plan is to find a VR/VS Calais, with good interior and an air con. Strip the seats, air con and alternator out and throw them into my VR SS. Sound like a good idea?

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
An SS with a Calais interior... mmmmm :D, but then again, it is an SS, so nice to keep it original as well, really depends on which seats you like better

beautiful looking car though

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You don't need boot carpet, infact most VN-VS dont have it just to save on the soggyness of it all :)

BecStar

Kickstart My Heart...
Reaction score
Members Ride
AND there's a fella a few doors down from our workshop who's a panelbeater... he's going to fix up a few dings and that ugly scratch on the passenger side :-D

As for the boot, I think I'll just sand it back and paint it black... my fiance has a new subwoof to put in and a few other things so I'll keep it simple.

Oooh I'm excited, it's all coming together! Just sucks that I rarely have days off with Adam, we could get it up and going in no time if we did.

BecStar

Kickstart My Heart...
Reaction score
Members Ride
My alternator seized up a while ago, while we were in the middle of nowhere camping by the way lol.. (I didn't think we were going to get home), the bearings on one side were all dirty and weren't moving one bit, Adam managed to temporarily fix that problem after several beers lol.. he just took the bearings out! Then one of the bolts or whatever holding it together broke, so it's being held together with a spanner at the moment. And then to make matters worse, the fanbelt snapped and we got a flat tyre! Now that was an interesting camping weekend lol

So we swapped the powersteering belt over in place of the fanbelt, chucked the spare tyre on and we made it home in one piece :-D

Anyway, I read somewhere that a VT alternator will fit into a VR, will any fairly new commodore alternator fit into a VR? And this may sound stupid but I'm looking on eBay and there's mostly V6 ones, but I've got an 8, will that make a difference? The 6's are really cheap, but the 8's are around the $250-$300 mark.

I thought I'd better ask before I go committing to buy the wrong thing lol

Thanks guys :-D