Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Starting Hiccup.

Onecontrolfreak

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have a VR V8 Statesman.

The problem is that sometimes I go to start it and there is lights but no turning over of the motor.

Hit the central locking to lock and unlock and try starting it no problem.

It does this frequently, but otherwise no issue with starting.

Where do i start to rectify this?

Thanks

Jamie

:whistling

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
I had this problem when i first got my VS. I noticed that the red security light would start flashing if i was sitting in the car. then i would have to lock and unlock the door for it to start.
it did it for about 2 months when i first got it but it has never done it again.
Wierd hey?
I cant say how to fix it though sorry. i had a bit done to it after that so wouldn't know where to start. I got holden to service it just so i could see what sort of condition it was in and give it a good going over. I also got a new Key as the buttons had become worn and the rubber over it had cracked and started to break away.
Good luck! I'm sure somebody on here will have the answer.

jacko

Reaction score
Sounds like an immobiliser hiccup. pressing the unlock button on the keypad will disengage the immobiliser and allow you to start the car. if you've unlocked the car with the key, chances are when you go to start the car you'll get lights but no motor. so make sure that when you go to start the car that you've unlocked it with the keypad to disengage the immobiliser :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I really think this is a security 'feature' - if you leave the key in the ignition keyhole for longer that 10 minutes or so, the car goes into lockdown mode and you need to hit the remote to tell it that everything is OK and it can start. This is mentioned in the owners handbook.